Free money

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Free money

by SLAMMED » 29 Sep 2009 22:43

Thou Voice DO YOU SEE? :shock:

Do you have to finish every fcuking post with this?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 29 Sep 2009 23:17

FROFLee Money

DO YOU SEE? :shock:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 29 Sep 2009 23:36

This thread is wrong on so many levels.

Firstly, as a betting man, I can say that betting at odds on is a mugs game.

Secondly, despite what happened at Peterborough, the turn round from one team leading at half time to the other leading at full time is a relatively rare occurrence, hence the odds.

Lastly--and most importantly--there's something very iffy about betting on your own team to lose. Have some dignity, lads. :)

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 29 Sep 2009 23:41

facaldaqui This thread is wrong on so many levels.

Firstly, as a betting man, I can say that betting at odds on is a mugs game.

Secondly, despite what happened at Peterborough, the turn round from one team leading at half time to the other leading at full time is a relatively rare occurrence, hence the odds.

Lastly--and most importantly--there's something very iffy about betting on your own team to lose. Have some dignity, lads. :)

Your post is wrong on so many levels it is laudable.

Alivey

by Alivey » 29 Sep 2009 23:44

Deathy FROFLee Money

the bookies do :shock:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Sep 2009 00:10

Ideal Ladbrokes offer 1.8 odds on Preston to win
Unibet offer 1.8 odds on Preston to win
Betfair offer 2.08 odds on Preston to win

Haha, c*nt.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 30 Sep 2009 00:22

SLAMMED
Thou Voice DO YOU SEE? :shock:

Do you have to finish every fcuking post with this?

No.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 30 Sep 2009 00:36

What kind of fan bets against their own team ?

That is fcking wrong on so many levels.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Sep 2009 00:40

Ideal Well I put down £25 on Reading half time, Preston full time, 33 to 1 like the man said, it sounded real sweet.

Looks like you're utterly shit at betting then...well done on your loss.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 30 Sep 2009 00:42

Royalee
Ideal Well I put down £25 on Reading half time, Preston full time, 33 to 1 like the man said, it sounded real sweet.

To be fair, it looked to be a half decent bet at those odds... but how can you bet against your team...

Fcking TREASON

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 30 Sep 2009 08:58

Mike Hunt
Royalee

To be fair, it looked to be a half decent bet at those odds... but how can you bet against your team...

Fcking TREASON

I would call it more than trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I bet against us tonight and lost a fiver. Same bet as Ideal.

Was more than happy to lose the fiver, though a 32/1 win would have paid for a night out to drown my sorrows. :wink:

And whoever said people betting at odds on do not know what they are doing, are in fact the one's that do not know what they are doing. As long as you have the monies.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Sep 2009 09:13

Mike Hunt What kind of fan bets against their own team ?

Rubbish

I know more about Reading than every other team in the country so, if i'm going to bet, it's logical to bet on games involving Reading. If we I see leads me to bet against them, so be it. It's not disloyal, it's just seperating what you want to happen from what you think will happen.

As for the H/T - F/T bets, generally they are hard to win but Reading are showing a trait of falling away badly in the second so the usual odds were unduly generous in this specific case. Indeed, this is exactly what happened, Reading dominated the first half and hung on in the second.

If there are similar sort of odds on Saturday, i'll definately be doing the same again as the trait is still there.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Sep 2009 09:23

Schards#2
Mike Hunt What kind of fan bets against their own team ?

Rubbish

I know more about Reading than every other team in the country so, if i'm going to bet, it's logical to bet on games involving Reading. If we I see leads me to bet against them, so be it. It's not disloyal, it's just seperating what you want to happen from what you think will happen.

As for the H/T - F/T bets, generally they are hard to win but Reading are showing a trait of falling away badly in the second so the usual odds were unduly generous in this specific case. Indeed, this is exactly what happened, Reading dominated the first half and hung on in the second.

If there are similar sort of odds on Saturday, I'll definately be doing the same again as the trait is still there.

+1

If the odds are worthwhile, bet on it.

Over the years I've made a tidy sum from Reading throwing away leads, and the money is a small compensation for the disappointment of not winning. This year I've done very nicely out of "no goal scorer" bets, too.

Magnus

by Magnus » 30 Sep 2009 09:36

facaldaqui Firstly, as a betting man, I can say that betting at odds on is a mugs game.

Would love to hear the rationale behind this.

Since you're a betting man facaldaqui - would odds constitute a good bet then?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 30 Sep 2009 09:52

Magnus
facaldaqui Firstly, as a betting man, I can say that betting at odds on is a mugs game.

Would love to hear the rationale behind this.

Since you're a betting man facaldaqui - would odds constitute a good bet then?

Facaldaqui is obviously not a betting man ...fullstop.

If offered 4/5 that Man untd would beat Sutton Untd in the 3rd round of the FA cup I would lump on as would 99.9% of the population. Facaldaqui wouldn't as bettimg odds on is a 'mugs game'.

I am with shards to a point. betting on or against Reading being a Reading fan is by far a better idea than betting on any other team as we know more about them than any other team.

As for half time full time betting... that to me is a mugs game (unless ridiculous odds) as is correct score, first goal scorer etc. Why do you get such great odds?... basically because the chances of winning are more remote.

Betting on anything at any odds is only a good idea if you judge the odds to be better than what you anticipate they should be. whether that be odds on or odds against.

Ask yourself what bets the bookies love and what ones they hate?

They love you to bet on multiple outcomes and doubles, first goal scorer etc (these get all the promotion stuff on TV and in shops).

They hate singles as they are the ones that they are more likely to lose.

Think about it.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Sep 2009 11:11

LOL!!!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 30 Sep 2009 13:18

I'm sorry, Londinium, but I am a betting man, and if you bet all odds ons in football matches, you will lose, period. Turnups are common (there were several in the Championship last night), and once you lose an odds on bet you need to place some non odds-on bets to get your money back.

The most horrible bet I ever did was a treble that included a Reading away victory at 3:1 and another win at 5:2. They came in on the Saturday, and all I needed then was my Sunday banker in order to make a serious amount of money. It was Liverpool at home to Southampton at a time when Liverpool had won all their matches at home and Southampton had not taken a single point away. Result: draw.

Londinium's example is absurd because you would never get 4:5 on Man U to beat Sutton. More like 1:14. Even then, the bookies wouldn't let you put much on. As for the Championship: being the way it is, I don't think any team could ever be value at odds on.

I would add that I once did an experiment on paper to see what would happen if you bet on every team that was 1:3 on or shorter, as these teams always did seem to win. There aren't too many, but after four months, sure enough, the system was making a small but inexorable profit. However, then a string of unlikely results came in and even that system went into the red. If those sorts of freak results had come early in the run, anyone doing it with real money would have been in a real mess, as you have to place substantial bets to make such odds worthwhile.

As for betting against Reading being a good idea because you know more about them, that would only be viable if they were at all predictable. For most of the time in the last three seasons, they haven't been. The only thing I would say in favour of it is that you have two ways of getting something out of a match rather than one: a Reading win is good; profit if they lose is good--but you will not enjoy the money, Schards, because it is cursed. :)

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 30 Sep 2009 18:23

Wimb
juanpablo went to look at odds and somehow managed to back Reading at 4.1 oxf*rd knows what was going through my head , complete last minute blind faith or perhaps divine intervention?

guranteed win now, thank me later with a ttt of this thread

Wahey \o/

moving on up :)