Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Cureton's Volley » 20 Dec 2013 14:31

Royal91
floyd__streete
Royal91 Admit it. WE WERE SHIT AND WE HOOFED IT.

Using capital letters doesn't reinforce your point or make it any less ludicrous, Brick.

Never said it did you complete c/nt.

Please enlighten me. You cannot tell me my point is ludicrous and then not provide a critique.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 20 Dec 2013 15:00

Even Leeds fans are grumbling about the hoofball, and McDermott recently defended it saying he wants to see them pass the ball but sometimes you need to be direct. It's his game, and as much as I like him, he hasn't learnt a thing since his disaster season last season. Sure he'll do well enough in this league with that sort of game, but what if Leeds get promoted? Um, er.. yeah he'll lump it like he did with us, and his team will be repeatedly raped. It's a possession game in the Premier League, you can't play Brian's game at that level. You need a plan B, and the poor guy still doesn't have one.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Dec 2013 15:41

Cureton's Volley

F/ck the argument, this goal has me melting every time.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2013 16:00

I am a bit fed up with this circular argument.

The facts are that the Championship is a tough league in which passing football rarely works that well and a high tempo pressing game gives the best results.

The PL tends to be a passing league where possession football wins out. The teams that do well have players that have that extra bit of quality.

The problem, therefore, is that you normally need different attributes to be successful at Championship level than you need after you are promoted. That makes it very hard for any team/manager to take a team up and keep them there for more than a couple of seasons (momentum sometimes works for a while like for us in 2006/7) unless they spend oodles of money (like Southampton and Sunderland).

I never found the McDermott style boring at Championship level. His teams always gave 100% and played a high tempo style and I enjoyed it. However, these attributes did not work at PL level. I think this is a challenge for any manager.

If Adkins can create a passing side at this level and still gain promotion then great. But if anyone thinks the current turgid dross is better than we had at this level under Brian then I do wonder about their sanity.

Still the jury is out and I hope it gets better.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 20 Dec 2013 16:02

Extended-Phenotype
Cureton's Volley

F/ck the argument, this goal has me melting every time.

Very reminiscent of Scotty Taylor's cross and Simon Osborn's header in 1994/95. Was that against Wolves?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Dec 2013 16:12

Royal91
floyd__streete
Royal91 Admit it. WE WERE SHIT AND WE HOOFED IT.

Using capital letters doesn't reinforce your point or make it any less ludicrous, Brick.

Never said it did you complete c/nt.

Please enlighten me. You cannot tell me my point is ludicrous and then not provide a critique.

Errr.... we got promoted playing that style of football?

:|

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 21 Dec 2013 10:25

andrew1957 I am a bit fed up with this circular argument.

The facts are that the Championship is a tough league in which passing football rarely works that well and a high tempo pressing game gives the best results.

The PL tends to be a passing league where possession football wins out. The teams that do well have players that have that extra bit of quality.

The problem, therefore, is that you normally need different attributes to be successful at Championship level than you need after you are promoted. That makes it very hard for any team/manager to take a team up and keep them there for more than a couple of seasons (momentum sometimes works for a while like for us in 2006/7) unless they spend oodles of money (like Southampton and Sunderland).

I never found the McDermott style boring at Championship level. His teams always gave 100% and played a high tempo style and I enjoyed it. However, these attributes did not work at PL level. I think this is a challenge for any manager.

If Adkins can create a passing side at this level and still gain promotion then great. But if anyone thinks the current turgid dross is better than we had at this level under Brian then I do wonder about their sanity.

Beautiful

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Dec 2013 12:00

andrew1957 I am a bit fed up with this circular argument.

This is where everyone keeps getting it wrong. They keep comparing McDermott at his best to wha lt Adkins currently has. Obviously the football under McDermott when the team was working well within the game plan was better than some of our disjointed displays this season. But what we've got at the moment is streets ahead in quality and entertainment than the turgid dross we were served up under McDermott sides who lacked coherance and creativity.

Maybe Adkins won't get it right. But if he does, we've already seen in the odd flash here and there that it'll be exciting and great football. Better than anything Brian served up.

And the point is, despite what we've got not working its also still producing much better results than those we got under mcdermott when his game wasn't working.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 21 Dec 2013 12:10

No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

Taking 5 mins to pass the ball into their half = Boredom

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Dec 2013 12:16

Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

You really are a tool. All of the best teams don't play 'end to end' football where you try and hoof it forward as quickly as possible. Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and co all pass the ball and create good chances rather than kicking and hoping. That's also the reason why they're stronger defensively - I wouldn't expect you to understand though as you're about as forward thinking and smart as a chocolate teapot.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 21 Dec 2013 13:29

Royalee
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

All of the best teams don't play 'end to end' football where you try and hoof it forward as quickly as possible. Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and co all pass the ball and create good chances rather than kicking and hoping. That's also the reason why they're stronger defensively

Yup, this.

Leicester are a prime example of a manager given time to develop his team and style of football.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 21 Dec 2013 13:37

AirRaidSiren
Royalee
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

All of the best teams don't play 'end to end' football where you try and hoof it forward as quickly as possible. Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and co all pass the ball and create good chances rather than kicking and hoping. That's also the reason why they're stronger defensively

Yup, this.

Thank you for making the effort to remove the defamatories ARS :wink:

I just prefer open games to chess matches I suppose.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 22 Dec 2013 09:31

Royalee
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

You really are a tool. All of the best teams don't play 'end to end' football where you try and hoof it forward as quickly as possible. Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and co all pass the ball and create good chances rather than kicking and hoping. That's also the reason why they're stronger defensively - I wouldn't expect you to understand though as you're about as forward thinking and smart as a chocolate teapot.

I lost count of the chances created by our passing in the first half yesterday.

Oh I remember ONE

ONE FFKIN SHOT. Cannot even remember a goalmouth scramble, close shave Nothing!

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING

This tippy tappy pass to the other side footy really works.

Oh and don't even mention the defence. :roll:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 09:46

Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

Do you think Leeds' 0-0 with Barnsley would have been exciting yesterday :?:

Cypry

by Cypry » 22 Dec 2013 09:54

SHORT AND CURLY
Royalee
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

I lost count of the chances created by our passing in the first half yesterday.

Oh I remember ONE

ONE FFKIN SHOT. Cannot even remember a goalmouth scramble, close shave Nothing!

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING

This tippy tappy pass to the other side footy really works.

Oh and don't even mention the defence. :roll:

Well you obviously weren't watching properly because we had four shots in quick succession in the first half, and Pog later forced a good save at the near post, so that's five at least.....

BBC has us at 21 shots in the game, albeit only 4 on target, so perhaps the passing ain't so bad and we need some finishing practise....?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Dec 2013 09:59

andrew1957
The facts are that the Championship is a tough league in which passing football rarely works that well

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Dec 2013 10:17

winchester_royal
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

Oh, come on, you've surely watched football long enough to now that the number of goals isn't a direct indicator of whether a match is exciting.

Besides, what I saw of the match on The Football League Show, yes, it did look exciting with chances and good saves both ends. Looked like, on balance, Leeds were very unlucky not to win that.

But that's football.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 22 Dec 2013 10:18

Well you obviously weren't watching properly because we had four shots in quick succession in the first half, and Pog later forced a good save at the near post, so that's five at least.....

BBC has us at 21 shots in the game, albeit only 4 on target, so perhaps the passing ain't so bad and we need some finishing practise....?

Must have been sticking needles in my eyes at those exciting points then.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 10:27

Man Friday
winchester_royal
Cureton's Volley No Ian.

End2End = Exciting

Oh, come on, you've surely watched football long enough to now that the number of goals isn't a direct indicator of whether a match is exciting.

Besides, what I saw of the match on The Football League Show, yes, it did look exciting with chances and good saves both ends. Looked like, on balance, Leeds were very unlucky not to win that.

But that's football.

Oh right? So a match in which both Leeds and Barnsley had 11 shots each is classed as end-to-end and exciting with Leeds being 'very unlucky' not to win? But a match in which we had 21 shots to Wigan's 13 is 'boredom' and one we deserved to lose?

And people accuse the Adkinites of being one-eyed..

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 10:36

Four shots on target someone said. Personally, not really interested in off target shots.

Are you including Drenthe smashing the ball out for a throw in as part of the 21 Winch?
Last edited by sandman on 22 Dec 2013 10:41, edited 2 times in total.

3714 posts