Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by handbags_harris » 06 Dec 2009 17:21

Four Of Clubs I dashed - well crawled a bit :wink: - round the M25 to the FA Vase Tie Hoddesdon vs Kirkley & Pakefield - away side are a recent merger of two suburban teams from Lowestoft - was a bit of a mis-match very comfortable 4-0 away win. Hopefully will get a 4th round tie in too - I think Royals are at Forest that day [16th Jan]. Co-incidentally K&P's nickname is The Royals. No idea why?

Interesting question, an obscure one! I have taken the liberty of asking the question on their forum. Wiki states that it was chosen by the fans in 2007 after the merger.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Dec 2009 19:55

Terminal Boardom
Royal Rother Windsor & Eton 1-0 AFC Totton

A very good game of football, both teams were a credit to themselves and the league. Osobu scored with about 5 minutes left; well, that and 6 minutes of added time. The Totton players reacted like they'd lost a Cup final at the final whistle.

Still relatively early days but I'll be very surprised if these are not the top 2 teams at the end of the season.

I reckon the crowd was about 250, of which half were from Totton. W&E really need to be doing more to engage with the public - there's an apathy to counteract I'm sure but I can't believe we couldn't get another 50 or 100 if there was some publicity in the town.

I was there yesterday along with Ark Royal. Most enjoyable footballing experience of the season. Two sides trying to play football and none of the nonsense or shennanigans of the pro game. I thought the referee had an excellent game but was obviously helped by both sets of players. You say the Totton players reacted at the end as if they had lost a cup final. Well, W&E celebrated as if they had won a cup final.

Great experience and looking forward to my next appearance there.

Despite stepping off an trans-Atlantic flight barely a few hours before, this was an uplifting experience. Stag Meadow is a wonderfully archaic venue surrounded by slopes and scary looking oaks that cast spooky shadows and just being there was a stark reminder of the era when I fell in love with the game in the first place back in the 60s at Elm Park: the smell of tobacco, Bovril, moaning old gits in sparse crowds and terraces! Wonderful. We stood by the Totton bench and every other word was oxf*rd. A great afternoon spent in the Stygian gloom of an English December day. Me and TB wallowed in the beautiful simplicity of it at all as we have not done so for many a year.

Two very good footballing teams that were a credit to their league. Totton were gutted at the end and you got the impression that this was a cup final for them; they deserved at least a point. As well as doubling the attendance, their small travelling band of supporters were magnificent. The Royalists will face Bracknell Town at the Stag next Saturday and the Robins are going to get a new arsehole ripped.

The coffee was appalling, the sausage and bacon roll was obscenely phallic in shape and equally appalling (but yum); the club shop stank of...old programmes, piss and Bovril and if you want an Eastville Colliery prog from 1994 it is the place to go.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2009 20:50

I've been going for a year now and only missed a couple of home games in that time. It's only 4 miles from home for me so is mighty convenient but although it probably won't get any better than that for a while it's extremely gratifying that you two enjoyed the whole experience so much.

You're dead right about everything in your evocative description Ark, especially the coffee.

TB, agree the ref was excellent but why he didn't play the advantage when Marcus Richardson had ridden the foul and was well inside the area and closing in on goal (from a tight angle) near the end of the game was inexplicable.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 06 Dec 2009 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2009 20:57

Royal Rother I've been going for a year now and only missed a couple of home games in that time. It's only 4 miles from home for me so is mighty convenient but although it probably won't get any better than that for a while it's extremely gratifying that you two enjoyed the whole experience so much.

You're dead right about everything in your evocative description Ark, especially the coffee.

Hey RR

can you still park in the shadow of the stand....or are you at the mercy of the local traffic cops?
Seriously, I've been considering making my first pilgrimage to the meadow (well, the first one since 1992 anyway), is there adequate off road parking?

What is the admission fee for man and boy?.......I used to get in free once upon a time

jocombes

by jocombes » 06 Dec 2009 21:02

05h Dec Sat Reading Town 2-0 Old Woodstock Town (Got both goals on camera)

Match Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okE249Gq0EQ

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Dec 2009 21:11

Long live non league football; an honest game of reasonably priced football and an experienced not ruined by pampered, cheating, greedy and posturing millionaire players or fuss-pot stewards. Whilst RFC will always be my own love, I have to say that I tend to look forward to an afternoon or evening at York Road, Maidenhead more than a visit to the MadStad these days. Non league purifies my footballing soul.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2009 21:13

AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother I've been going for a year now and only missed a couple of home games in that time. It's only 4 miles from home for me so is mighty convenient but although it probably won't get any better than that for a while it's extremely gratifying that you two enjoyed the whole experience so much.

Hey RR

can you still park in the shadow of the stand....or are you at the mercy of the local traffic cops?
Seriously, I've been considering making my first pilgrimage to the meadow (well, the first one since 1992 anyway), is there adequate off road parking?

What is the admission fee for man and boy?.......I used to get in free once upon a time

Inside the ground and in the shadow of the stand the car park is for players and officials, behind the townside goal there is a car park that holds about 70 cars I'd guess, and around the streets there's a reasonable amount of parking within 3 minute walk. With the size of the crowds you're unlikely to have a problem getting parked very close. Since realising I could park there I have always managed to get a space in the car park, that's turning up 15 minutes before KO for run-of-the-mill games or 30 mins before bigger games.

Admission is £8, half price >65 and <16s get in free if accompanied by a full paying adult. (1 kid per adult.)

A big bacon cheeseburger with onions is (I think) £2.50 and a cup of coffee (if that's what you can call it) is 80p, but served with a smile, which helps it go down. (I'm told the tea is better but I'm nervous of trying it as it comes out of a big urn stuffed with about 50 tea bags I think....)

Royalist

by Royalist » 06 Dec 2009 21:18

Great game indeed.

Stag Meadow is such an easy place to fall in love with for so many reasons. Non-league football grounds have much more soul than these new bowl stadiums!

The burgers are not called burgers but Sue Burgers by the fans as thats the woman that makes them week by week missing most of the game! She goes to most of the away games too so isnt in it for the few quid chucked her way. Everyone mucks in. The mascot making its debut next week is all fan funded and there has been considerble effort to promote it with over 1000 flyers dropped into homes 40 posters up in windsor, local paper coverage and also local radio! All done by the fans because we want more people to come down and help OUR club climb the leagues. Dont think you can get anything like that level of effort watching a pro club.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2009 21:36

Ha! I thought it was only Brian (the postie) who called them Sue Burgers!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2009 21:48

AthleticoSpizz

Hey RR

hanx RR

it kind've seals the deal

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2009 21:51

Probably goes without saying but I should've added, the car park is free.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 06 Dec 2009 22:01

jocombes 05h Dec Sat Reading Town 2-0 Old Woodstock Town (Got both goals on camera)

Second goal looked pretty tidy tbh.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2009 22:07

jocombes 05h Dec Sat Reading Town 2-0 Old Woodstock Town (Got both goals on camera)

looks like Woodstocks keeper played a blinder

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 06 Dec 2009 22:14

Just found a decent blog which Id thought id share

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspo ... -gold.html

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2009 22:17

AndyRFC Just found a decent blog which Id thought id share

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspo ... -gold.html

that is worth an awesome lol

Nice one ARFC

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 07 Dec 2009 12:48

Although the matter seems to be in hand Basingstoke Town have been issued with a Winding Up Order according to the Non League Paper.

http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.co ... 65&sud=258

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Dec 2009 13:47

TB, agree the ref was excellent but why he didn't play the advantage when Marcus Richardson had ridden the foul and was well inside the area and closing in on goal (from a tight angle) near the end of the game was inexplicable.

That was the only downer on his performance. I won't comment too much on the lino though as he seemed to have all sorts of problems determining whether or not the ball went out of play.

One thing about the car park; don't wear good shoes :lol:

Talking about the honesty and integrity of the players at this level, what about the Totton payer who played the second half with a nose shield? I can think of a few pros who would still be rolling in agony. May the air continue to be fresh in non-league circles.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 07 Dec 2009 14:42

handbags_harris
Four Of Clubs I dashed - well crawled a bit :wink: - round the M25 to the FA Vase Tie Hoddesdon vs Kirkley & Pakefield - away side are a recent merger of two suburban teams from Lowestoft - was a bit of a mis-match very comfortable 4-0 away win. Hopefully will get a 4th round tie in too - I think Royals are at Forest that day [16th Jan]. Co-incidentally K&P's nickname is The Royals. No idea why?

Interesting question, an obscure one! I have taken the liberty of asking the question on their forum. Wiki states that it was chosen by the fans in 2007 after the merger.

Response - they have taken on the nickname "The Royals" due to their club colours, royal blue being a predominant kit colour. It was chosen after a vote by their fans.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 07 Dec 2009 18:26

handbags_harris Response - they have taken on the nickname "The Royals" due to their club colours, royal blue being a predominant kit colour. It was chosen after a vote by their fans.

Thanks for the background - true their colours are mostly royal blue (with claret stripes).

Their nickname in the NL Directory is still 'The Kirks' but obviously that was their name pre-merger (2007).

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 Dec 2009 08:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvYOA4BXIqk

Good to see ex Maiders Striker Rocky Baptiste continuing to make a name for himself.

ROCKY! ROCKY!

725 posts