Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Dec 2015 14:09

How many points off the top were we at this stage when we won the league?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 23 Dec 2015 14:15

Pepe the Horseman How many points off the top were we at this stage when we won the league?

7th place on 33 points, 11 points off the top.

http://fussball.wettpoint.com/en/archives/tables/gamedays-2011/championship-england-22-2011-12.html

in 05/06 we were 14 points clear of 3rd place already :lol:

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Dec 2015 14:49

Woodcote Royal
Sutekh All seems to make the last 4 years completely irrelevant, they might as well not have happened.

Yep, those of a certain age will remember Pam's "dream" in Dallas :P

I guess we're lucky we didnt have to see Brian stepping out of the shower ...

Is Anton our equivalent of Angelica Nero?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Dec 2015 17:58

RG7Fan
Woodcote Royal
Sutekh All seems to make the last 4 years completely irrelevant, they might as well not have happened.

Yep, those of a certain age will remember Pam's "dream" in Dallas :P

I guess we're lucky we didnt have to see Brian stepping out of the shower ...

Is Anton our equivalent of Angelica Nero?

Well it's certainly no Dynasty..

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Dec 2015 18:08

100% win rate, so far. If we were to extrapolate that to a 46 game season, that's 138 points. Make of that what you will.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Dec 2015 18:40

genome 100% win rate, so far. If we were to extrapolate that to a 46 game season, that's 138 points. Make of that what you will.

Williams top scorer with 46 :shock:

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Dec 2015 20:30

Ian Royal
genome 100% win rate, so far. If we were to extrapolate that to a 46 game season, that's 138 points. Make of that what you will.

Williams top scorer with 46 :shock:

Statistics ...

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 23 Dec 2015 20:36

RoyalRuss86 100% rate so far, can't complain with that!

Also I saw a post on the book of faces this week, which showed our Bri's post xmas results, under his guidance.

Now I don't know if it is correct and am far too lazy to check but this is how it read:

2009-10
DWWWWWWDWLWW

2010-11
WWDLDWWWWWLW

2011-12
WWLWWWWWWWWD

So basically now is the time to get yourself down to the bookies and place your mortgage on RFC to win the league. (Sky bet are currently offering odds of 300/1, or if you want to be a bottle job it is 16/1 for promotion).

I am IN!

I'm in - £5 each way @ 300-1 / 100-1

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 28 Dec 2015 20:02

Winston Smith
RoyallyFcuked Brian: The right decision? Part 2

Oi Kim Jong-RF, you don't get to tell us when part 1 ends and part 2 starts.

:lol:

Looks like I already did, my friend.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 Dec 2015 11:25

Epic team selection Brian. That remindned me why I wanted* you back...

I thought he might last 18 months. I'll give him 12 max before the Thai's get itchy trigger fingers again!

*not

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2015 12:05

Coppelled_Streets Epic team selection Brian. That remindned me why I wanted* you back...

I thought he might last 18 months. I'll give him 12 max before the Thai's get itchy trigger fingers again!

*not

You're such a remtard

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Dec 2015 13:15

Thought the team selection was good, only qualm was HRK and Blackman being the wrong way round. Though tbh didn't Blackman score most/a lot of his goals this season from a wide position?

So even that decision isn't without reason. Still think Brian might be barking up the wrong tree there though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Dec 2015 13:53

Yep, Blackman has scored most of his goals from a wide right position, but not from a more orthodox right mid/wing kind of role he's played against Wolves and Brentford. His hot streak came when he (mainly) played as one of 3 upfront, coming in from the relatively free-role on the right. He played a few through the middle as well and carried on scoring as well. With him being so left footed and generally pretty greedy I'm not sure he's cut out to play out on the right.

Robson-Kanu can hold the ball up reasonably well when played through the middle, and he must do a similar job for Wales, but I just don't see him as enough of a threat through the middle. The problem is, IMO, is that he's not disciplined enough to play down the left. Perhaps he and Blackman are just too similar, just that Robson-Kanu goes outside to cross from the left where Blackman wants to cut in to shoot and so is better on the right.

Could we end up with a front 3 of Robson-Kanu on the left, Sa through the middle and Blackman on the right?

Would McDermott go 4-3-3 though? Where does that leave Piazon and Vydra?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 Dec 2015 14:04

Ian Royal
Coppelled_Streets Epic team selection Brian. That reminded me why I wanted* you back...

*not

You're such a remtard

Easiest and most predictable catch on here!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2015 16:30

Extended-Phenotype Thought the team selection was good, only qualm was HRK and Blackman being the wrong way round. Though tbh didn't Blackman score most/a lot of his goals this season from a wide position?

So even that decision isn't without reason. Still think Brian might be barking up the wrong tree there though.

It amazes me how many people don't know where Blacman was playing when good.

He was playing as a wide forward. Not central (mostly), not right wing / midfield. In a relatively free role between the lines with little defensive duty insude our half, all pressing high if any at all.

We should either play him there or not at all if there's an alternative. Maybe, just maybe off Sa / HRK whilst they lead a two man attack.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 29 Dec 2015 16:38

RoyalJames101
msmivie HOOF AND CHASE!
Definitely NO thank you!

SCORE AND WIN GAMES!
Definitely YES please!

So you'd rather see sexy passing football and we get mugged by the likes of Wolves and Brentfird ?! No thanks

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 29 Dec 2015 16:50

Hoop Blah Yep, Blackman has scored most of his goals from a wide right position, but not from a more orthodox right mid/wing kind of role he's played against Wolves and Brentford. His hot streak came when he (mainly) played as one of 3 upfront, coming in from the relatively free-role on the right. He played a few through the middle as well and carried on scoring as well. With him being so left footed and generally pretty greedy I'm not sure he's cut out to play out on the right.

Robson-Kanu can hold the ball up reasonably well when played through the middle, and he must do a similar job for Wales, but I just don't see him as enough of a threat through the middle. The problem is, IMO, is that he's not disciplined enough to play down the left. Perhaps he and Blackman are just too similar, just that Robson-Kanu goes outside to cross from the left where Blackman wants to cut in to shoot and so is better on the right.

Could we end up with a front 3 of Robson-Kanu on the left, Sa through the middle and Blackman on the right?

Would McDermott go 4-3-3 though? Where does that leave Piazon and Vydra?

I'd go with a front 3 of Vydra on the left, Sa/ Robson-Kanu in the middle, Blackman on the right. It makes the most sense. Then midfield three of Norwood, Tshibola, Williams/Quinn. Piazon is too lightweight, but he could be backup to Vydra on the left forward role imo.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Dec 2015 17:24

Still maintain that this is our strongest side:

----------------------Bond----------------------
Gunter--McShane--Ferdinand--Obita
-------Tshibola--Norwood----Quinn-----
Blackman-----------Sa----------------Vydra

Normally, back-ups are HRK for Blackman, Liburd for Sa, John for Vydra, Williams for Tshibola/Quinn, Kuhl for Norwood, and the defence does itself.

Sometimes that won't be the right thing to do. Some teams will be vulnerable to width, then stick McCleary and Hurtado on the wings. Some teams will gobble Sa up, then we move Vydra up front and bring on Piazon to play behind him.

Our squad lets us play in a variety of ways, and it will take McDermott some time to work out which is going to get us the best results. I mean, we only love 4-3-3 because we saw it work really well once.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Dec 2015 17:28

^ +1 with the team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2015 23:22

SCIAG Still maintain that this is our strongest side:

----------------------Bond----------------------
Gunter--McShane--Ferdinand--Obita
-------Tshibola--Norwood----Quinn-----
Blackman-----------Sa----------------Vydra

Normally, back-ups are HRK for Blackman, Liburd for Sa, John for Vydra, Williams for Tshibola/Quinn, Kuhl for Norwood, and the defence does itself.

Sometimes that won't be the right thing to do. Some teams will be vulnerable to width, then stick McCleary and Hurtado on the wings. Some teams will gobble Sa up, then we move Vydra up front and bring on Piazon to play behind him.

Our squad lets us play in a variety of ways, and it will take McDermott some time to work out which is going to get us the best results. I mean, we only love 4-3-3 because we saw it work really well once.

The beauty with this side is it has so much flexibility. Quinn is capable of pushing wider and deliver crosses. Vydra and Blackman able to drop off and drift in to find space. Sa can pull out to the left to run that channel knocking it inside for Vydra or Quinn, or can try to win knocks downs / hold the ball up in the middle. Norwood can play through the middle. Gunter and Obita can overlap with adequate cover from Quinn / Tish. Sa actually has a chance of putting away crosses and Blackman's shown he's decent attacking the far post.

I'd rather have the riskier element of Hector in for Ferdinand, because Anton is made of crystal and Hector can bring the ball out far better. And with a stronger midfield, his sometimes ropey decision making is protected better.

I'd also say that McCleary can more than adequately cover Blackman's position as he quite likes to cut inside and boom some shots away himself.

3714 posts