SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

464 posts
Cypry

Re: SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

by Cypry » 20 Jan 2013 09:32

Stranded
RFCSPACE So unless Arshavin drops his salary to the level of our top earners, he isn't coming. Good.

Or Arsenal make up the shortfall whilst he's on loan.

That's the way I read it......

We'd love to have him, but won't break our wage structure to do it.
We've investigated how/whether we could do something, I'm guessing a loan until the Summer, with Arsenal paying some of his wages. Whether he would come to us a a free agent in the Summer is up to him.....

Sounds like it's still up in the air, but I reckon it'll depend on how much Arsenal want him off their books (whether completely or a part of his salary) - suspect it'll largely hinge on whether any better offers come in during the window...

peeping bernal

by peeping bernal » 20 Jan 2013 10:23

As Arsenal have spent the last few weeks sending deadwood out on loans to reduce their wage bill then it way be a case he wants to see whats there for him, being the end of the month. If at that point he has not had any better offers then he may come. To be honest if it is him that is holding it up then I wouldn't want him as he wouldn't be committed to the fight, we only want players who WANT to be here and not just for the money like QPR's squad

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 20 Jan 2013 15:08

Just come on against Chelsea. Seems to be playing CAM

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 20 Jan 2013 15:20

And has done precisely oxf*rd all since...................so far.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 20 Jan 2013 15:22

peterroyal76 And has done precisely oxf*rd all since...................so far.

No one can perform in such circumstances, Chelsea have all back.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 20 Jan 2013 16:56

Looked largely peripheral today… well off the boil
Money would be better spent on someone with more passion who wants to play for us.

_royal

by _royal » 20 Jan 2013 17:27

If he's expecting 80k a week from anywhere outside of Russia or maybe the Middle East he is deluded

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 20 Jan 2013 19:14

Arsenal have truely ruined his career, they continue to play him as a wide forward when he is clearly a 'in the hole', typical number 10, where he shines for Russia and has looked in many tournaments as one of the worlds best players. Wide players are only as good as the service they get, unfortunately for Arshavin, Arsenal always play through the middle and the wide players are normally peripheral players.

He needs to go to a club and play in a central role behind the striker, I'm convinced he would be a great signing for whoever he goes to as long as he's played in his preferred position.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jan 2013 19:22

You have a point but he looks like he might be too far gone to me.

Shame because 3 - 4 years ago I loved watching him play.

bennno

by bennno » 20 Jan 2013 20:11

Looked woeful today, would rather have younger and hungry top players from lower leagues.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jan 2013 08:35

Like Akpan? Most of our fans seemed pretty underwhelmed by that...

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Jan 2013 10:00

Playing in the wrong position at Arsenal still, would be very curious to see what would happen to his career if he played in his natural number 10 position for a number of weeks.

How did he do back at Zenit last year, I assume he got to play there then?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jan 2013 10:23

ZacNaloen Playing in the wrong position at Arsenal still, would be very curious to see what would happen to his career if he played in his natural number 10 position for a number of weeks.

How did he do back at Zenit last year, I assume he got to play there then?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... nit-return

Arshavin looking 'better and better' as Zenit close in on Russian titleA return home has inspired Russia's captain; perhaps his problem in London was a lack of action and homesickness?

- 2 goals in 7, a few assists and mixed reviews. Sounds like he improved with more game time, got sharper and fitter, and playing in his position.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Jan 2013 10:37

Seems like if we were to play him in the correct position, and can come to a agreement re: wages we should do it.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jan 2013 10:43

IF we could get a compromise and IF he could get back to his best can we afford the time it would take for him to hit full fitness and match sharpness, especially with the team being at the other end of the table to the likes of Zenit?

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 21 Jan 2013 11:23

maffff Like Akpan? Most of our fans seemed pretty underwhelmed by that...

Akpan was pretty average, made some OK passes, to be honest it was about as much as you could have expected from a premier league debut. He does look like he has good movement though and Coppell rates him very highly so maybe he has potential.
Arsharvin is an expensive gamble. He may have been good at one point in his career, but he definitely looks finished these days. In the last game he came on for half an hour. He looked rusty and his movement and passing were dreadful. He may have had success playing in Russia but surely even their top clubs have to be championship/ league one level at best.
Difference between Akpan and Arsharvin? several million pounds in wages a year, (which would destroy our wages structure).
Also Akpan is an average player who has potential, and Arsharvin is an average player who had potential.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ter-window
McDermott has just said that he won't be "spending big" in the January window, I hope he's right… Arsharvin would be a huge waste of money. We're better off spending our money on players with potential, not washed up primadonnas who are looking for a retirement fund.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Jan 2013 11:33

IIRC, he had a very good Euro 2012. Looked impressive in the games that I saw. IMHO, he has festered at Arsenal and is clearly unhappy. If no-one else comes in for him, and if he comes to Reading on loan, his CV will look far better for a move to a high profile club in the summer. If.

royaldownunder

by royaldownunder » 21 Jan 2013 11:36

Terminal Boardom IIRC, he had a very good Euro 2012. Looked impressive in the games that I saw. IMHO, he has festered at Arsenal and is clearly unhappy. If no-one else comes in for him, and if he comes to Reading on loan, his CV will look far better for a move to a high profile club in the summer. If.

I think a loan until the end of the season is the only sensible way to approach it. He's too much of a liability to have on our wages bill.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Jan 2013 11:39

royaldownunder
maffff Like Akpan? Most of our fans seemed pretty underwhelmed by that...

Akpan was pretty average, made some OK passes, to be honest it was about as much as you could have expected from a premier league debut. He does look like he has good movement though and Coppell rates him very highly so maybe he has potential.
Arsharvin is an expensive gamble. He may have been good at one point in his career, but he definitely looks finished these days. In the last game he came on for half an hour. He looked rusty and his movement and passing were dreadful. He may have had success playing in Russia but surely even their top clubs have to be championship/ league one level at best.
Difference between Akpan and Arsharvin? several million pounds in wages a year, (which would destroy our wages structure).
Also Akpan is an average player who has potential, and Arsharvin is an average player who had potential.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ter-window
McDermott has just said that he won't be "spending big" in the January window, I hope he's right… Arsharvin would be a huge waste of money. We're better off spending our money on players with potential, not washed up primadonnas who are looking for a retirement fund.

What did he mean by: It doesn't have to be splashing loads of money at it - just don't tell the chairman that?

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 21 Jan 2013 12:08

a loan till the end of the season is a no brainer. I say break the bank, worth the risks and if existing players get pissy its a short term loan deal to try to keep you in the premier league.

464 posts