Green park station/south Reading station

824 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by sandman » 04 Dec 2013 21:41

chilipepper91
LoyalRoyalFan
southbank1871 A monorail would be much more cost effective and fit for purpose.

Is there a chance the tracks could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend

SLAMMED What about us brain-dead slobs?

You'll be given cushy jobs.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 05 Dec 2013 10:39

ZacNaloen The way I see it they'd only need to staff it on match days (LI and Reading, so most weekends), but then they'd just use the police anyway right?

Footfall will be low enough the rest of the week that they can treat it like they do Winnersh Triangle.

Exactly. People will need a ticket to get on/off at Reading anyway so won't need staff at the other end.

They did have a ticket office at Winnersh Triangle, but I think it only opened for a couple of hours each weekday morning:

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 05 Dec 2013 12:50

The ring came off my pudding can!

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 05 Dec 2013 13:09

Take my pen knife, my good man

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Dec 2013 10:51

Apologies if this point has already been made, but with the 3 Guineas being the away pub won't it cause the police a serious headache to have thousands of RFC fans turning up to Reading station at 2pm every saturday?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2013 13:59

£8 million to maybe take a couple of hundred cars off the road on match days ? What a ridiculous waste of money !

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Dec 2013 14:58

Looking forward to a pre match tipple in the new station pub, the Green Park Arms.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Dec 2013 19:35

But main streets still all cracked and broken. :!:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 07 Dec 2013 22:16

Nameless £8 million to maybe take a couple of hundred cars off the road on match days ? What a ridiculous waste of money !

So you don't reckon it will be used by staff at Green Park then? :|

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Dec 2013 22:33

Nameless £8 million to maybe take a couple of hundred cars off the road on match days ? What a ridiculous waste of money !

What an idiotic, narrow minded as stupid post

Yea, it's £8m for football days. The other 350 days of the year it's closed.

... But seriously...

I believe this station will link to other areas of the south. It will also assist the housing developments around Whitley, A33 and the south. May also help populate parts of Green Park.

The fact it helps football supporters is a side note and another tick within many boxes.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 08 Dec 2013 07:55

The biggest problem that I see is that whilst a new station is a great idea, it won't be specifically for football fans. This means that the service won't be timed to fit in with the football. So it will probably be a 45 minute wait after the final whistle for the train to arrive, and when it does arrive it will be a two carriage train capable of taking about 150 people back to Reading.

If demand far outstrips capacity, then I could see Green Park station being closed on match days, similar to Holloway Road (I think) at Arsenal.

£8m seems very cheap for a station, so I imagine it will just be a platform either side with very limited shelter/waiting areas, and a footbridge.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Dec 2013 18:39

What's the going rate for stations then?

And to make it comparable I mean new halts only, not something like the refurb of Reading Station.

EPR2.0

by EPR2.0 » 08 Dec 2013 18:44

Wizard The biggest problem that I see is that whilst a new station is a great idea, it won't be specifically for football fans. This means that the service won't be timed to fit in with the football. So it will probably be a 45 minute wait after the final whistle for the train to arrive, and when it does arrive it will be a two carriage train capable of taking about 150 people back to Reading.

If demand far outstrips capacity, then I could see Green Park station being closed on match days, similar to Holloway Road (I think) at Arsenal.

£8m seems very cheap for a station, so I imagine it will just be a platform either side with very limited shelter/waiting areas, and a footbridge.

The fact that you have to swim part of the most direct route from the MadStad to the proposed station should reduce demand a little bit.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 08 Dec 2013 22:01

Wizard The biggest problem that I see is that whilst a new station is a great idea, it won't be specifically for football fans. This means that the service won't be timed to fit in with the football.

It doesn't mean that at all, and we don't know what the timetable will be. When the idea was first mooted, the plans were to increase the usage of that line, so they may well take into account the football - let's just wait and see. Either way, it's a bonus for the area and for the town as a whole, in terms of the business park; and quite possibly for getting to and from the football as well.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Dec 2013 22:33

SPARTA it's a bonus for the area and for the town as a whole

A shoe in for city status now surely.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Dec 2013 22:40

SPARTA
Wizard The biggest problem that I see is that whilst a new station is a great idea, it won't be specifically for football fans. This means that the service won't be timed to fit in with the football.

It doesn't mean that at all, and we don't know what the timetable will be. When the idea was first mooted, the plans were to increase the usage of that line, so they may well take into account the football - let's just wait and see. Either way, it's a bonus for the area and for the town as a whole, in terms of the business park; and quite possibly for getting to and from the football as well.

LOL @ Wiz pretending he's in the know. Stick to driving the trains m8.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2013 23:42

It'd be pretty silly not to at least make an effort to arrange the timetable to be helpful for a big slice of guaranteed business, with the capacity to do it. Especially on what could otherwise be a fairly quiet route most of the time.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 Dec 2013 03:25

The route is already there though. This is an additional station, so must increase passenger numbers, no idea if it makes financial sense, I would expect so long term though. In business hours I would expect a shuttle bus to run as well from the station, though not to the ground

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 09 Dec 2013 07:32

SPARTA

M8, it just won't. Stopping trains along this line have to be timed to not interfere with fast trains, and where they can arrive and depart Reading and Basingstoke without getting in the way of other services using these stations.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2013 10:45

They'll have to build a siding if they want to run a regular shuttle.

824 posts