Rumour - Gary Hooper

1074 posts
GreaterTorontoRoyal

Re: Rumour - Gary Hooper

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 07 Jun 2013 20:30

FridaysGhost Exactly a year ago I watched as we refused to pay £8 for Rhodes and most of this site said he was rubbish. Now we are down a division, talking about £8m for Hooper, who is not as good and the site is saying he is too good for us. One wonders whether anyone on this site actually watches football and understands it.

Obligatory pedantic post
If we could have signed Rhodes for £8, I would have flown over to England and chauffeured him to the Mad Stad myself.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 07 Jun 2013 20:50

Then you are in a majority of one. The prevailing view on this site was - he was totally unproven and we should not spend millions on him. When it looked like we were going to be relegated, we were suddenly able to offer 15m for Gylfi and Austin. Also, did'nt we back out of a deal for Zaha because he was too expensive at about the same 8m price? We're really good at transfers are'nt we?

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 07 Jun 2013 20:51

FridaysGhost Exactly a year ago I watched as we refused to pay £8 for Rhodes and most of this site said he was rubbish. Now we are down a division, talking about £8m for Hooper, who is not as good and the site is saying he is too good for us. One wonders whether anyone on this site actually watches football and understands it.

now we have parachute payments that will help us pay for him along with AZ's wealth. the last year we spent a lot building the academy to category 1 status instead of investing millions in players. now that our academy is quality we can turn our attention to attracting quality players.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 07 Jun 2013 21:18

GreaterTorontoRoyal

Obligatory pedantic post
If we could have signed Rhodes for £8, I would have flown over to England and chauffeured him to the Mad Stad myself.

That;s what screwed it then, you did'nt come. The Manager admitted afterwards that Rhodes wanted to come to us, but only after he had been sold to Blackburn.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Jun 2013 21:32

FridaysGhost
GreaterTorontoRoyal

Obligatory pedantic post

That;s what screwed it then, you did'nt come. The Manager admitted afterwards that Rhodes wanted to come to us, but only after he had been sold to Blackburn.

Learn how to use an apostrophe correctly you dumb oxf*rd.
Even your username is wrong.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 07 Jun 2013 21:38

And yours is Kosher?

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 07 Jun 2013 21:43

You are TheSiege AICMFP

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Jun 2013 21:43

FridaysGhost And yours is Kosher?

No. It's P!ssed Off.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Jun 2013 22:25

P!ssed Off
FridaysGhost And yours is Kosher?

No. It's P!ssed Off.

I'm not surprised.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 08 Jun 2013 10:46

Hooper is proven at a higher level than Rhodes though - he's played and scored in the Championship and Champions league. Rhodes hadn't before the season began, so the reluctance to sign him for a season in the premiership makes sense to me

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jun 2013 10:58

blueroyals The fact that he left the championship 3 years ago for the SPL shows which league he thinks is better.

No, it shows which league he thinks he could have a higher profile and get paid more in. Unless he'd gone to any other SPL team of course.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jun 2013 11:01

FridaysGhost Then you are in a majority of one. The prevailing view on this site was - he was totally unproven and we should not spend millions on him. When it looked like we were going to be relegated, we were suddenly able to offer 15m for Gylfi and Austin. Also, did'nt we back out of a deal for Zaha because he was too expensive at about the same 8m price? We're really good at transfers are'nt we?

Very few said he wasn't any good. They said at £8m he was very over-priced gamble. Which he was. Sigurdsson on the other hand would not have been a gamble at all, was much more experienced, playing for one of the top 6 clubs in the country and just generally better. Of course we'd have to pay more for him.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Jun 2013 13:07

Ian Royal
blueroyals The fact that he left the championship 3 years ago for the SPL shows which league he thinks is better.

No, it shows which league he thinks he could have a higher profile and get paid more in. Unless he'd gone to any other SPL team of course.

Didnt Scunthorpe get relegated that year? So technically he left a League 1 club.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 08 Jun 2013 14:00

FridaysGhost . Also, did'nt we back out of a deal for Zaha because he was too expensive at about the same 8m price? We're really good at transfers are'nt we?

No! The player didn't even want to discuss terms with us so we stopped negotiating.

As far as Hooper goes, I would never say never but it is highly unlikely. He will get Premiership offers which will no doubt trump anything we can offer.

Those citing the poor quality of Scottish football need to remember that although the level is generally shite and Celtic are a big fish in a tiny pond, but they are still a club famous throughout the world and have guaranteed Champions league football every year. He may give that up for a Premiership opportunity, but not to play in the Chump.

Also those comparing this to Rhodes....you need you head checked. Slight difference in signing a player from Huddlesfield than Celtic.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Jun 2013 18:34

NOBODY claimed Rhodes was rubbish. NOBODY.

Stupid boy.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 08 Jun 2013 21:40

Seems to be a bit of re-writing history here. With the exception of one or two people, whilst I have watched this board, no-one appears to have any clue about potential. I saw some people talk about Rhodes' potential last year most of the board said he was'nt worth the fee. He always was and we might still be in the Premiership had he joined us. There seems to be a strange thing here where contributors are only interested in players of proven ability but would only buy said player should he be a bargain-baserment buy. I do'nt get it.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 08 Jun 2013 21:42

FridaysGhost Seems to be a bit of re-writing history here. With the exception of one or two people, whilst I have watched this board, no-one appears to have any clue about potential. I saw some people talk about Rhodes' potential last year most of the board said he was'nt worth the fee. He always was and we might still be in the Premiership had he joined us. There seems to be a strange thing here where contributors are only interested in players of proven ability but would only buy said player should he be a bargain-baserment buy. I do'nt get it.

You are the Siege aren't you? Or a very fierce rival. I have just read two responses of utter shite, and they both came from you.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 08 Jun 2013 21:43

Handsome Man
FridaysGhost Seems to be a bit of re-writing history here. With the exception of one or two people, whilst I have watched this board, no-one appears to have any clue about potential. I saw some people talk about Rhodes' potential last year most of the board said he was'nt worth the fee. He always was and we might still be in the Premiership had he joined us. There seems to be a strange thing here where contributors are only interested in players of proven ability but would only buy said player should he be a bargain-baserment buy. I do'nt get it.

You are the Siege aren't you? Or a very fierce rival. I have just read two responses of utter shite, and they both came from you.

Can't be the Siege, there isn't an exclamation mark at the end of every oxf*rd sentence.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2013 00:05

Our woes were way bigger than one striker who might have been good enough to do ok in the Prem but hadn't even showed he could hack the Championship yet.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Jun 2013 00:45

League 2 striker at best.

:wink:

1074 posts