532 posts
The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell out!

by The whole year inn » 02 Mar 2009 19:01

seahawk10
Stranded
Royal Lady It still amazes me that some people are still able to see the positives out of a load of negatives with our playing style and our results lately. Fair play to those of you that are still positive though.

The positive, as I said elsewhere, is that despite it all promotion is all in our own hands - win one of our games (even draw both) in hand over Brum and all we have to do is match every team below us point for point over 12 games.

As a lot of the teams around us seem as incapable of taking hold of the mettle as we are then this has to be a positive.

the goals will come, we just need to get the first one to take off some of the pressure.

..and it will come early on Tuesday night.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Mar 2009 19:15

floyd__streete Some bullish and inspiring words from Coppell today; coming out fighting on the front foot:

Steve, a defat on Saturday was there a bit of a lack of imagination upfront?

I don't know.

Is this a crisis?

I don't know.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 85,00.html

LOLZ

Skyline

Re: RE: Coppell out

by Skyline » 03 Mar 2009 10:14

Of course Coppell should stay until the end of the season. I'm still convinced that, whatever happens, he will leave at the end of this season anyway, but changing things now would be the worst thing we could do. As many others have said, it's not like we're fighting relegation.

If Coppell was going to go, it should have been last season, during the run of 8 defeats after Christmas. I've mentioned it before (but think it bears repeating) that I lost a degree of confidence in him when he came out after about six or seven of those defeats and said (words to the effect of) "Now I have a reason to make changes" - it was like he didn't want to upset the poorly-performing players by dropping them. And I remember being annoyed when Fulham announced they were appointing Roy Hodgson as manager - IMO he was the ideal candidate to replace Coppell at that time.

SteveRoyal it's quite clear he can't get his team confident again;
clearly not something he learnt from Fergie.

Why would Coppell have learnt anything from Fergie?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 03 Mar 2009 10:24

RobRoyal
Rawlie19 Whatever happens now this season, I think we'll be relegated next season. And it won't be with Coppell.

And if we don't win promotion this season? :|

If we don't win promotioin this season, I would think the following players will leave: Doyle, Lita, Harper, S Hunt, Matejovsky, Bikey. The following are getting on a bit: Murty, Ingi, Gunnarsson. That leaves us with N Hunt, Kebe, Rosie (might want to jump too), USA and Armstrong, plus the new kids (who I think are a prospect, but not senior players).

I can seriously see us being in the same boat as Charlton this time next year if we don't go up. Sorry, I'm usually up-beat about things, but I feel the glory days are long gone and won't be repeated while Madejski is the owner. I thank him, Coppell and the team for the 3+ years that have been a dream though.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 03 Mar 2009 10:26

Deathy
Rawlie19 Whatever happens now this season, I think we'll be relegated next season. And it won't be with Coppell.

If we fuk up promotion this season, and I think we will, then next season will be horrible, but never a relegation season. The following season maybe. You happy smiley soul you.

If we go up, then I'll let you rub my belly next season Jay. :wink:

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 03 Mar 2009 10:34

What was said & done last season is history, today we stand in a great position, despite our dip in form, with a team that SSC has built.
In August many thought we'd be fighting with the "big boys" alike Charlton, Southampton & Norwich (all of which have dumped their managers!)
I know where I'd sooner be. 8)

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Mar 2009 11:32

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... t_to_start

I recall Dillon saying something positive like this at the same stage last season. :shock:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Mar 2009 11:40

Gordons Cumming http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2046161_were_not_finished_were_just_about_to_start

I recall Dillon saying something positive like this at the same stage last season. :shock:

LOl. No Dillon's remark was that he'd looked ahead at the fixtures and saw we'd finish 12th!

To be fair Downes remarks are actually what you'd want and expect him to say. he's not predicting where we will finish he's saying its an opportunity to focus on a set period of games. Sounds fair enough to me.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Mar 2009 11:45

It's still a positive comment which I hope proves to be more accurate than Dillon's.

OK?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Mar 2009 11:59

Gordons Cumming It's still a positive comment which I hope proves to be more accurate than Dillon's.

OK?

Fine thanks. You?

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 03 Mar 2009 12:31

I don't really want to haul this thread to the top again, but the lack of rational perspective is really starting to get on my tits. Some "fans" will never be happy until we show Big Four style success and can therefore justify the arrogance that goes with that territory.

A recent comment stated "the glory days are long gone". :roll: FFS, we're not Luton, Leeds or even Charlton, we are still slap bang in the middle of a promotion race. They'll only be "gone" this season if the race is lost and "long gone" when we are stuck fast in mid-table (or worse) for seasons in a row.

This is the seventh season out of the last nine where we have been involved in a PROMOTION campaign...oh yes, and I'd quite forgotten, the other two were in the Premier League. :roll: Like it or not, and taking into account the frustration of coming back down last season, those were definitely glory days for a club that spent 135 years getting there.

Considering that there is currently ONE player at the club that was involved nine years ago, then that is some consistency to keep turning over personnel and producing squads that challenge the right end of the table year after year. What more can people possibly want from our historically small and underachieving club? Some clubs produce flash in the pan seasons and then just as fast sink back into obscurity, or worse. I remain, at worst, somewhat nervous that our current form is not good, but am absolutely convinced that we will not slide down that path. Nothing will be put right by Coppell leaving at this stage of the season, but whatever he decides to do at the end of this season, he can never be thanked enough for getting us to a position where people CAN bleat hysterically about the end of the glory days.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 03 Mar 2009 12:37

3 veesinarow I don't really want to haul this thread to the top again, but the lack of rational perspective is really starting to get on my tits. Some "fans" will never be happy until we show Big Four style success and can therefore justify the arrogance that goes with that territory.

A recent comment stated "the glory days are long gone". :roll: FFS, we're not Luton, Leeds or even Charlton, we are still slap bang in the middle of a promotion race. They'll only be "gone" this season if the race is lost and "long gone" when we are stuck fast in mid-table (or worse) for seasons in a row.

This is the seventh season out of the last nine where we have been involved in a PROMOTION campaign...oh yes, and I'd quite forgotten, the other two were in the Premier League. :roll: Like it or not, and taking into account the frustration of coming back down last season, those were definitely glory days for a club that spent 135 years getting there.

Considering that there is currently ONE player at the club that was involved nine years ago, then that is some consistency to keep turning over personnel and producing squads that challenge the right end of the table year after year. What more can people possibly want from our historically small and underachieving club? Some clubs produce flash in the pan seasons and then just as fast sink back into obscurity, or worse. I remain, at worst, somewhat nervous that our current form is not good, but am absolutely convinced that we will not slide down that path. Nothing will be put right by Coppell leaving at this stage of the season, but whatever he decides to do at the end of this season, he can never be thanked enough for getting us to a position where people CAN bleat hysterically about the end of the glory days.

POTS(eason)

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Mar 2009 14:10

Vision
Gordons Cumming It's still a positive comment which I hope proves to be more accurate than Dillon's.

OK?

Fine thanks. You?

Couldn't be better.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Mar 2009 14:11

I bet you would be better if RFC had wone the last three games??

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Mar 2009 14:57

3 veesinarow I don't really want to haul this thread to the top again, but the lack of rational perspective is really starting to get on my tits. Some "fans" will never be happy until we show Big Four style success and can therefore justify the arrogance that goes with that territory.

shpot on my shon

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Mar 2009 16:20

Most seem to want us to be a top Championship side, yet not win promotion, as the premier is rubbish, apparantly. Seems like thats what we are trying to do, the only trouble is that feckin idiot Coppell has made us too good and now we are in line for promotion!! No wonder he is getting grief from many here, fancy taking us too far.

by 1960 » 03 Mar 2009 17:45

3 veesinarow Some "fans" will never be happy until we show Big Four style success and can therefore justify the arrogance that goes with that territory.

I don't think anyone on this site has ever said he/she wants us to be a top four club. We should, though be able to match clubs such as Fulham (relegated us last year on GD and now 8th), Bolton (beat us by one point and now pretty solid mid-table), Wigan (third/fourth division rivals of old and now in their fourth premier season and pretty solid) and, yes, even West Ham. These are the teams of a similar size to us (West Ham a bit bigger I suppose) so why the hell can't we aspire to match them ?

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 03 Mar 2009 18:43

3 veesinarow Some "fans" will never be happy until we show Big Four style success and can therefore justify the arrogance that goes with that territory.

I don't think anyone on this site has ever said he/she wants us to be a top four club. We should, though be able to match clubs such as Fulham (relegated us last year on GD and now 8th), Bolton (beat us by one point and now pretty solid mid-table), Wigan (third/fourth division rivals of old and now in their fourth premier season and pretty solid) and, yes, even West Ham. These are the teams of a similar size to us (West Ham a bit bigger I suppose) so why the hell can't we aspire to match them ?

I'm not saying that anyone has ever wanted us to be top Four, just that no-one ever seems to be happy with how far we have come and where we are now - they always seem to want us to be five steps ahead of where we actually are. A perfectly valid and reasonable aspiration is to become a comfortable, solid mid-Premier League club such as those quoted, but my real point is why can't people allow us to be "in the moment" and not declare with doom-laden gloom that the party is already over?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Mar 2009 11:16

agreed

realistically just to be challengers for promotion each season was a step up for us as a club, to be a yo yo club would be a huge jump, and to establish ourselves as a top division side is a quantum leap.

people forget who we are sometimes

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 04 Mar 2009 11:36

1960 These are the teams of a similar size to us (West Ham a bit bigger I suppose) so why the hell can't we aspire to match them ?

Or take Leeds, Leicester, Derby, Forest, Southampton, Watford, Bradford and many others. All teams of a similar size to us and, um, well behind us.....

532 posts