Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Z175
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Z175 » 13 Mar 2013 11:05

My assumption with Di Canio at the match was he'd be installed after an appropriate amount of time and I still expect himto be appointed after Saturday. I can see theres no point rushing it, which damages our reputation more, and the United game is too soon for a new manager and a guaranteed defeat in any case but after this there is an international break, so some time to get up and running. Clearly the decision was announced on Monday to maximise the time available.

However, if Di Canio was there out of co-incidence, which is possible given hes been nearby at Swindon and is scouting ahead of his next move, then I think theres a big danger of being the next Wolves. As many have said, what man like Advocaat or Di Matteo wants relegation and a championship job? A 9 game interim manager like Dowie, McCleish or McClaren is possible, as they have something to prove, but it wouldnt thrill anyone. So we then end up sticking with Eamonn Dolan, Terry Connor style. But Dolan has been a manager before and a good one... a win at Old Trafford, and maybe the comparion is not with Connor, but McDermott at Anfield...

I think comments about Anton rebuilding ala Swansea or preparing for relegation are nonsense. He panicked - Antons gambled/sunk £25m on this club and he knows its the next 9 games or nothing.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2013 11:07

melonhead
Sanguine In fact your post on the Zingarevich thread makes no sense against the one on this thread.

what alot of shit

No not really.

On one thread you say AZ has taken the action that he thought it was needed and that it was not unexpected.

On another you say but for the booing, Brian would still be in a job.

If you are tying the two together then you are saying AZ is simple enough to have made his decision because of the booing.

Make your mind up.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:10

they arent mutually exclusive though. :roll:

brian would still be in a job without the booing
as a result of the booing AZ took the action he felt he needed to
no one can say that its entirely unexpected. we are bottom, and going down.
i dont think its simple to react to the booing like that. its pretty sensible.
though i dont the the booing was sensible.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2013 11:12

So Anton made a sensible decision based on the unreasonable reaction of the fans. Gotcha. :)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 13 Mar 2013 11:21

Z175 My assumption with Di Canio at the match was he'd be installed after an appropriate amount of time and I still expect himto be appointed after Saturday. I can see theres no point rushing it, which damages our reputation more, and the United game is too soon for a new manager and a guaranteed defeat in any case but after this there is an international break, so some time to get up and running. Clearly the decision was announced on Monday to maximise the time available.

However, if Di Canio was there out of co-incidence, which is possible given hes been nearby at Swindon and is scouting ahead of his next move, then I think theres a big danger of being the next Wolves. As many have said, what man like Advocaat or Di Matteo wants relegation and a championship job? A 9 game interim manager like Dowie, McCleish or McClaren is possible, as they have something to prove, but it wouldnt thrill anyone. So we then end up sticking with Eamonn Dolan, Terry Connor style. But Dolan has been a manager before and a good one... a win at Old Trafford, and maybe the comparion is not with Connor, but McDermott at Anfield...

I think comments about Anton rebuilding ala Swansea or preparing for relegation are nonsense. He panicked - Antons gambled/sunk £25m on this club and he knows its the next 9 games or nothing.

Still think if he was a panicker he'd have unloaded McD in December. I think he's convinced now that McD wouldn't be able to get us out of trouble so therefore whatever happens a replacement may give him a better shot.

As with most things as well we really don't know what the behind the scenes relationships are. With the last sacking it wasn't just our league position that did for Rodgers but a breakdown in relationships with certain players and board members.

If one of McD's main managerial skills is in getting everyone pulling together in the same direction with the same aim, then if that starts to fail, in order to finish out of the bottom 3 he's left with trying to outwit opponents tactically or buying in players who can raise the level of performance.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:27

Sanguine So Anton made a sensible decision based on the unreasonable reaction of the fans. Gotcha. :)

:roll:

far be it from me to call you a div.......

but yet again, the two arent mutualy exclusive

the reaction was disloyal, ungrateful, shortsighted, and unreasonable
but the fact remains that once the crowd turn against you, there really i no where else for him to have gone with his decision.
you literally cannot have that happening every game, for the team, or the business.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 13 Mar 2013 11:30

Whats going down Melon, you not in a good mood today?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2013 11:34

It hasn't happened every game wendybrenda, just once.

Fair enough if you support sacking a guy because the crowd boo. I personally think AZ has a lot more about him than that, and that this sacking is based on a string of results and our appalling style of football.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Mar 2013 11:35

Vision As with most things as well we really don't know what the behind the scenes relationships are. With the last sacking it wasn't just our league position that did for Rodgers but a breakdown in relationships with certain players and board members

I agree. This is definitely a variable that's hidden from the fans and one can only guess at based on the odd occasion issues leak into the public domain.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:42

HoneyRoastHoax Whats going down Melon, you not in a good mood today?

no.

i h8 you all now.
basically you are all the bruti who stabbed our caesar in the back.
and im ashamed you belong to my club.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Mar 2013 11:43

melonhead
Hoop Blah
melonhead same applies

Really? Who are the 'mongs' on THE board then?

fukkin' el you humourless div

Had no idea that was supposed to be an attempt at humour brendy!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:44

Sanguine It hasn't happened every game wendybrenda, just once.

Fair enough if you support sacking a guy because the crowd boo. I personally think AZ has a lot more about him than that, and that this sacking is based on a string of results and our appalling style of football.

it was worse than a little booing.
its been more than just the last game, though that was the worst.

of course its because of the results, and the results are due to our lack of quality, and that affects our "style"
but the trigger was the booing

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:44

Hoop Blah
melonhead
Hoop Blah Really? Who are the 'mongs' on THE board then?

fukkin' el you humourless div

Had no idea that was supposed to be an attempt at humour brendy!

hence my reply

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 13 Mar 2013 11:44

melonhead
HoneyRoastHoax Whats going down Melon, you not in a good mood today?

no.

i h8 you all now.
basically you are all the bruti who stabbed our caesar in the back.
and im ashamed you belong to my club.

Its going to be hard but we'll pull through it mate. You never know we may get a great manager who gets us playing really nice football.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:46

im sure we will.
but that still wont erase this shameful stain from our history.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Mar 2013 11:51

melonhead pretty clear thats what happened. and i dont have any real problem with it either.
while brian had the loyalty of the crowd, you could let the results go to an extent, and hope for him to rebuild next season.
as soon as large scale booing started his position was pretty much untenable.
the atmosphere was horrible, honestly one of the most poisonously negative crowds i can remember at the madstad. booing our own players, booing everything the manager did. he couldnt really do much else imo

I can remember many more negative crowds at Reading over the years. A lilttle boo'ing was nothing compared to the "xxx Out" chants of the past for Branfort, Bullivant and Burns, the pitch invaision after the 6-1 defeat by Palace (if I've remembered that rightly), or even the build up the pants day and boo'ing that Pardew received.

I do think the crowd reaction to events at the Villa game might've added to Zingaravich's thinking but I'm much more inclined to believe he'd given him the two 6-pointers at home to save the season. Once they went drastically wrong he knew that, as Vision mentioned, that McDermott's way was not going to work. He'd had plenty of time to get it right and unfortunately failed.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 13 Mar 2013 11:52

melonhead im sure we will.

Agreed. I'm more depressed about this today than I was yesterday.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Mar 2013 11:59

Hoop Blah
melonhead pretty clear thats what happened. and i dont have any real problem with it either.
while brian had the loyalty of the crowd, you could let the results go to an extent, and hope for him to rebuild next season.
as soon as large scale booing started his position was pretty much untenable.
the atmosphere was horrible, honestly one of the most poisonously negative crowds i can remember at the madstad. booing our own players, booing everything the manager did. he couldnt really do much else imo

I can remember many more negative crowds at Reading over the years. A lilttle boo'ing was nothing compared to the "xxx Out" chants of the past for Branfort, Bullivant and Burns, the pitch invaision after the 6-1 defeat by Palace (if I've remembered that rightly), or even the build up the pants day and boo'ing that Pardew received.

I do think the crowd reaction to events at the Villa game might've added to Zingaravich's thinking but I'm much more inclined to believe he'd given him the two 6-pointers at home to save the season. Once they went drastically wrong he knew that, as Vision mentioned, that McDermott's way was not going to work. He'd had plenty of time to get it right and unfortunately failed.

Yep, and it was interesting to read in one of the papers that McDermott knew his job was under massive threat in the weeks leading up to the decision and probably explains why he sounded so down on BBCRB after the game.

Zingarevich clearly has lofty ambitions, and if what gazza/other posters say about it being McD's decision to stick with this squad rather than invest further then it was absolutely the correct decision. Brian seemed happy just to be in the PL and ultimately that kind of attitude was not going to lead to long term success. Add that to the fact the football has been pretty poor all season (with the odd exception) as well as the numerous issues with individual players and the decision continues to look inevitable. Did the fans booing get him the sack? Of course not, his job performance this season did. However I do think Brian's popularity is one of the main barriers to Anton sacking him, and once that was removed following the supporters turning on him against Villa it made the decision that much easier.

He'll get a good job next as his reputation has remained intact, we get a fresh start, I honestly think this is the best outcome for both parties.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2013 12:00

mr_number
melonhead im sure we will.

Agreed. I'm more depressed about this today than I was yesterday.

I loved Brian & was a fully fledged member of the 'Calm Thread' but am actually quite excited for next season now whereas I wasn't a few days ago.

Lets be honest if we went down with him we'd have probably started badly in August, the vibes would be even more negative & then he'd end up with the boot after the transfer window closed meaning the new guy was stuck with what he had until Jan.

The writing was on the wall & I see no benefit to any party dragging it out. Tis sad but true.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 13 Mar 2013 12:02

Predictably, I disagree.

2614 posts