Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 18:44

FiNeRaIn Stop moaning....lap it up and enjoy it. We are finally making an effort to COMPETE with everyone else spending stupid money. We got no extra points for taking a moral approach to football for the last decade so fvck them all.

I don't want to support another Leicester or QPR. Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity. You might be happy for the club you support to cheat it's way to success, but many of us aren't like Pompey fans or you. Thankfully.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 18:45

tomrfcurz "Time will tell what impact the Russian investors will have. I know who they are.

"I have been here 11 years now and it is going to be a different situation.

"On the face of it, it seems to be good business for the club.

"It's a new era we are going into now and hopefully we will give the fans something to cheer about."

McDermott on Sky Sports
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... um=twitter

well he confirms they're russian and said investors, not investor. it's a new era is very exciting. we need to take this step to move forwards, so risk or not i think it's a good thing.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Jan 2012 18:46

Ian Royal They most certainly can make money. Buy now, get promoted and sell for a profit. Or buy now, get promoted, establish as a PL club and sell for an even bigger profit.

I actually think that is JM plan, why sell it all now when could potentially get promoted then look to sell when in prem at higher value!

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 18:47

Ideal
Friday's Legacy
FiNeRaIn Roman pavlyuchenko is a name I was hearing in the concourse earlier today. Apparently a close friend of the new investor, possible loan deal in the pipeline. Would welcome this. Him and Rhodes up front with bertrand left back and a creative centre mid would do nicely in this window.

do you ever take a day off from talking bullshit?

I hate how this has turned out.
Not been 24 hours since the announcement, but already people are claiming we are signing Pavlyuchenko and Rhodes, and saying stuff like "let's enjoy spending the cash" etc.

oxf*rd that, this is just such a symbol of what is wrong with this day and age, 95% seem to be complete plastics.

That's probably because success in British football isn't about supporters, stadia, history, tradition, or anything else other than how much money you are prepared to throw at young men who will kiss the badge as long as you pay them enough thousands of pounds per week. It's contagious. As Roxy Music once put it " This is tomorrow calling".......

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:47

Ian Royal
FiNeRaIn Stop moaning....lap it up and enjoy it. We are finally making an effort to COMPETE with everyone else spending stupid money. We got no extra points for taking a moral approach to football for the last decade so fvck them all.

I don't want to support another Leicester or QPR. Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity. You might be happy for the club you support to cheat it's way to success, but many of us aren't like Pompey fans or you. Thankfully.

Exactly. These investors will want a massive say on how things are done & could completely kill the culture of the club.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 18:48

Ian Royal

Silly post, who is suggesting we " cheat" our way to success. :roll:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 21 Jan 2012 18:49

Ian Royal I don't want to support another Leicester or QPR. Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity.

Thats good as most people on here don't want you to support Reading FC either.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 18:49

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal

Silly post, who is suggesting we " cheat" our way to success. :roll:

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 18:49

MmmMonsterMunch
Ian Royal

Exactly. These investors will want a massive say on how things are done & could completely kill the culture of the club.

the culture of the club was knocked down and had houses built on it. it's now a modern club and although i miss the club as it was back then, we are better for the change. new investors are essential if we want to continue to progress and hopefully become a regular fixture in the premiership.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 18:50

Ugh, do you know what cheating actually means Ian?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Jan 2012 18:52

FiNeRaIn Roman pavlyuchenko is a name I was hearing in the concourse earlier today. Apparently a close friend of the new investor, possible loan deal in the pipeline. Would welcome this. Him and Rhodes up front with bertrand left back and a creative centre mid would do nicely in this window.

LOL, someone piped up with a Russian sounding player's name and he's on his way here. :D

Scylla

by Scylla » 21 Jan 2012 18:53

Norfolk Royal

LOL, someone piped up with a Russian sounding player's name and he's on his way here. :D

With snow on his boots.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Jan 2012 18:53

MmmMonsterMunch
Ian Royal

You're making a judgement on these people before they've had the chance to outline detailed plans for their investment. Give it time and wait to hear what they have to say.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:54

Exactly. These investors will want a massive say on how things are done & could completely kill the culture of the club.[/quote]

the culture of the club was knocked down and had houses built on it. it's now a modern club and although i miss the club as it was back then, we are better for the change. new investors are essential if we want to continue to progress and hopefully become a regular fixture in the premiership.[/quote]

And what happens when we get promoted then? We just chuck more & more money at it? End up with a load of mercenaries that have no passion for the club at all and uncontrollable levels of debt? 20 teams can spend whatever they like but 3 teams will still go down each year. I find it worrying that people are just accepting all of this at face value. Sounds clear to me that an exit strategy is in place for JM as soon as 2014 comes along.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 18:59

Z175
under the tin
Ian Royal They most certainly can make money. Buy now, get promoted and sell for a profit. Or buy now, get promoted, establish as a PL club and sell for an even bigger profit.

Spot on, Ian

Sorry sell to whom?

And how would they next investor make a profit? Getting us to the champions league and selling us then? Who to?
It might happen, but its a damn sight more likely we'll go into administration when the russkies don't want to sink any more cash in!

I won't be renewing my season ticket for £600 I can tell you!

So you've never heard of builders who buy up an old house, put a new bathroom and kitchen in, and then turn it around?
Do you think that £80 million would buy a Champions league club?
"More likely to go into administration when the russkies don't want to sink any more......"
So by selling all our best players (because SJM isn't willing to sink any more in) is a production line that will survive in perpetuity?
Last edited by under the tin on 21 Jan 2012 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 19:01

lmao I love how people are assuming such worse case scenarios, or the fact we are going to spend trillions on players. The reality my friends will probably be somewhere in the middle.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Jan 2012 19:04

I might go out in the morning and get hit by a bus. Does that mean I shouldn't go outside? SJM isn't going to be around for ever and if he trusts these people then we have to as well. Some people are just afraid of change.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 19:05

sandman I might go out in the morning and get hit by a bus. Does that mean I shouldn't go outside? SJM isn't going to be around for ever and if he trusts these people then we have to as well. Some people are just afraid of change.

Their opinions will change once they see the likes of Arshavin line up for us next season and actually knock the ball around in midfield.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Jan 2012 19:08

Don't understand some of the scepticism on here tbh, people who are against it trust SJM to continue running the club, but don't trust him to act in our best interests when it comes to potential investors?

I'm sorry but he is lots of things is our John, but he loves this club, and he wouldn't let anyone take up a majority share holding unless it was right for the club.

I've always supported the way the club has been run, you can't spend money you don't have, however if investors have realised the potential of this club if it were to become established in the PL, and hence are willing to invest some money to increase the chances of that happening (something our current owner can't do because of his well documented difficulties) then I'm all for it.

It's not about becoming the 'next Man City', it's about being able to build a side capable of playing entertaining football at a successful level, and then being able to keep that side together. It's not cheating or immoral, it's business. 'Speculate to accumulate' is an acceptable business strategy as long as it does not put the club in potential danger.

I for one am excited, it's a new chapter in our club's history, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few months bring.

postwhisperer

by postwhisperer » 21 Jan 2012 19:09

*reads every thread about chelsea and man city
*reads this thread

ROFLMAO

5145 posts