Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by tee peg » 21 Aug 2009 07:20

Who do you think "fed" the story to the media about a bid from pompey?
It looks like they will get the £1.8m that they have been holding out for.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 21 Aug 2009 07:46

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

by Sir Dodger Royal » 21 Aug 2009 07:54

Pompey interest is genuine as Nugent possibly to sign for the Tigers. Pompey will need a replacement. Smith fee would be more than covered with Nugent fee.

Newsflash from SDRs media chumns is that Fulham are also renewing their interest in Smith due to Johnston injury. Oh what a bunch of t*****s are those folks at RFC.

Reading should have had this Smith deal signed up weeks back. One hopes they have a second choice. Gary Alexander? or else Division One here we come.

Before the RTGs get their nickers in a twist then Gary is not the man.

Stay alert. SDR will be calling for the Madmans head and hopefully in unison with about 5000 boos from the terraces. Time to pack his wig and leave the pent house suite. His time is uppppppppppppppp

You know it makes sense. Suck a Cigar just like Dodger.
Last edited by Sir Dodger Royal on 21 Aug 2009 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Aug 2009 07:56

why didn't Reading just get this done 4 weeks ago? :|

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Aug 2009 08:29

The fun is yet to continue. They'll now spend another week arguing over terms i.e. we'll start by probably offering something pathetic up front and the rest in installments and addons and Watford will stick to 1.8 million now.

And there is still the possibility that Newcastle or QPR might try to hijack it at the last moment (and offer 1.8million straight).

We'll be luck to see Tommy at Reading before the Barnsley league game, if at all.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Aug 2009 08:34

We are crying out for a player like Tommy Smith but Reading's handling of this has been nothing short of shambolic.

Rumours are rife this morning of fresh bids for Smith from 4 clubs - 3 local and one up north i.e. Newcastle.

None of us know exactly what is going on and why this is being delayed but it does look like Reading's ridiculous penny pinching could seriously jeopardise our season.

We must be one of the richest and well financially clubs in the Championship and yet the tightest!!!!!!!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Aug 2009 08:36

paultheroyal We are crying out for a player like Tommy Smith but Reading's handling of this has been nothing short of shambolic.

Rumours are rife this morning of fresh bids for Smith from 4 clubs - 3 local and one up north i.e. Newcastle.

None of us know exactly what is going on and why this is being delayed but it does look like Reading's ridiculous penny pinching could seriously jeopardise our season.

We must be one of the richest and well financially clubs in the Championship and yet the tightest!!!!!!!

Rubbish - we're not one of the richest clubs. Haven't you read any of the threads on the financial situation?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Aug 2009 08:45

Today is going to be a bad day. I can feel it. Russo has been playing us like a two-bit fiddle as revenge for Rodgers's perceived "treachery" and will deliver the coup de grace this weekend.

We'll end up chasing our tails all week then desperately scrabbling around for loan forwards in September.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Aug 2009 08:47

paultheroyal We are crying out for a player like Tommy Smith but Reading's handling of this has been nothing short of shambolic.

I think we can guess what's going on - Smith is being hawked around like a fifty-baht whore so that Watford make sure they sell him to anyone but Rodgers. We've walked right into a trap on this one, and it don't look good.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2009 08:52

Terminal Boardom
Deathy
Royal Lady In this quote ^ you alluded that Smith was one of the two. Not backtracking are you Jay? :wink:

No I'm not. We all know Rodgers wants Smith, it's a given. If Hammond is away on business, then you would suspect he's chasing target number two of the two more Rodgers wants. Are you still with me? I'm repeating myself here. :roll:

Deathy, you have to type slowly otherwise RL will not be able to keep up. And using words like repeating is pointless as it has more than 2 syllables.

:lol: Pah. I've never been so insulted in my life as to have Jay allude I'm thick.

"Rodgers wants Smith" "he's chasing target number 2 of the two more Rodgers wants" - who is target number one then? I assumed from Jay's posts it's Smith. :roll:
Anyway, looks like we shan't be getting Smith at this rate, so who on earth are we looking at now?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 21 Aug 2009 08:52

Never ending bloody story continues...

Some Watford Rag Tommy Smith is expected to play in front of his adoring fans against Blackpool after Reading’s ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ offer failed to meet Watford’s valuation for the forward.

There were reports Smith could start for Reading against Sheffield United tomorrow after the Berkshire club apparently matched the Blades’ successful £1.8m bid.

But the Watford Observer understands the Royals are yet to reach the required fee.

Watford are still in negotiations with Reading despite the reported ‘final’ bid and yesterday (Thursday) Watford boss Malky Mackay confirmed the offer had neither been accepted or rejected.

He said: “The situation is that there is a bid that has come in and is being considered right now by the board.

“There is a meeting on that this afternoon and then we will decide on the action to take. The bid hasn’t been rejected or accepted yet.”

Former Hornets boss Brendan Rodgers made a fresh approach on Tuesday night, prior to Smith scoring in Watford’s 4-2 win over Nottingham Forest, after last Thursday’s offer of around £1.2m was rebuffed.

It has been claimed Reading offered what they believe to be the required £1.8m but it is understood a large proportion of that fee is add-ons, such as money based on promotion.

During his brief spell as Watford boss, Rodgers regularly referred to Smith as “Superman” and the Northern Irishman is hoping a “solution” can be found as quickly as possible.

Rodgers said: “The club have obviously matched an offer that was agreed by another club and we’re hoping there will be a solution to it and that will be up to the two clubs.

“We’ve made the offer and we’ll just see what happens from there.

“There’s other possibilities we’re looking at in a couple of other positions as well.

“I need to bring in my own type of player to add to what is a very good group of players, so that will be key over the next week and a half to try and do that.”

Newcastle United have enquired about Smith and representatives from the North East club were watching the forward during Tuesday’s 4-2 victory over Forest.

It is known that Smith is keen not to move his family but Newcastle may be an attractive proposition to the 29-year-old, considering he supported the club as a youngster and some of his family are from the area.

A bid from the Magpies could be on the cards after they sold Republic of Ireland international Damien Duff to Fulham on Tuesday, although it is unclear who is in charge of recruiting players as the they remain managerless.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Aug 2009 08:59

Royalwaster

Rubbish - we're not one of the richest clubs. Haven't you read any of the threads on the financial situation?

Yes of course as that is all factually correct!!!

:roll: :lol:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Aug 2009 09:30

CMRoyal I think we can guess what's going on - Smith is being hawked around like a fifty-baht whore so that Watford make sure they sell him to anyone but Rodgers. We've walked right into a trap on this one, and it don't look good.

But that's not the point. Smith will go where Smith wants to go - not where Watford want him to go. If the bond between Smith and Rodgers is that tight then he'll sign.... eventually.

If Newcastle offer Smith double the wages we offer he'll probably go there. Simples. Watford have absolutely no say in the matter. If they did, he would already be at Sheffield United.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 21 Aug 2009 09:34

I think a "We want Smith" chant may be in order tomorrow, just to put no doubt in Madejski and Hammonds mind what the fans want. Not that it will help, mind.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Aug 2009 09:35

The only thing wrong with these negotiations is that they are being conducted in the media. For all we know the Mills deal could also have been going on for a similar amount of time but Doncaster chose to keep it private until a deal was agreed.

Watford are only conducting themselves in this way because it is us that wants him. All we are trying to do is negotiate and get a deal that works for us and not just giving in to whatever they want.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Aug 2009 09:37

Royal With Cheese
CMRoyal I think we can guess what's going on - Smith is being hawked around like a fifty-baht whore so that Watford make sure they sell him to anyone but Rodgers. We've walked right into a trap on this one, and it don't look good.

But that's not the point. Smith will go where Smith wants to go - not where Watford want him to go. If the bond between Smith and Rodgers is that tight then he'll sign.... eventually.

If Newcastle offer Smith double the wages we offer he'll probably go there. Simples. Watford have absolutely no say in the matter. If they did, he would already be at Sheffield United.

Please don't say "simples" - you're copying a TV advert FFS.

But Watford do have a say - they can accept a £2m from elsewhere. If that club then offers Smith more money than we have, well who would blame him taking it? He and BR ain't twins, that much talked-about bond will be of finite strength.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2009 09:43

Wycombe Royal The only thing wrong with these negotiations is that they are being conducted in the media. For all we know the Mills deal could also have been going on for a similar amount of time but Doncaster chose to keep it private until a deal was agreed.

Watford are only conducting themselves in this way because it is us that wants him. All we are trying to do is negotiate and get a deal that works for us and not just giving in to whatever they want.

To be far - BR made our interest very public on this move early on, so I can't blame Watford at all.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Aug 2009 09:48

Stranded
Wycombe Royal The only thing wrong with these negotiations is that they are being conducted in the media. For all we know the Mills deal could also have been going on for a similar amount of time but Doncaster chose to keep it private until a deal was agreed.

To be far - BR made our interest very public on this move early on, so I can't blame Watford at all.

Yes he did, but it isn't us has that has released details of every bid we have made. Rodgers was, I believe, told to button it by the management at RFC and he has done that.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Aug 2009 10:02

Royal With Cheese But that's not the point. Smith will go where Smith wants to go - not where Watford want him to go.

Not if they reject our bid, even if it does match what everyone else bids.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Aug 2009 10:03

Reading are hopeful Watford will accept their £1.8million bid for striker Tommy Smith.

Hornets chairman Jimmy Russo and manager Malky Mackay were last night locked in discussions over Royals’ offer which getreading understands comprises a series of add-ons.

However, Watford are keen to get all the cash up front – and negotiations could go on until early next week.

Ironically Sheffield United, who visit Madejski Stadium in the Championship tomorrow (3pm kick-off), made a £1.8m approach for Smith last month, but the player rejected the move.

Reading have had bids of £750,000 and £1.2m turned down by Watford before returning with their final offer.

Manager Brendan Rodgers said: “The club have matched an offer that was agreed by another club and we’re hoping there will be a solution to it – and that will be up to the two clubs.”

Mackay would love to keep 29-year-old Smith, but is under pressure to sell to ease the club’s financial worries.

The Watford boss said: “There is a bid that has come in and it is being considered right now by the board.”

Newcastle United and QPR are also monitoring Smith’s situation.

The Magpies see him as an ideal replacement for Damien Duff, who has joined Fulham in a £4m deal.

Rodgers is believed to have missed out on signing Slovakian winger Miroslav Stoch on a season-long loan from Chelsea last month.

Stoch, who Rodgers knows from his time at Chelsea, opted to join ex-England boss Steve McClaren in the Dutch Eredivisie at FC Twente.

Rodgers is still looking at other targets, however, and hopes to add another player to his squad before the transfer window closes on September 1.

He said: “There are other possibilities we’re looking at in a couple of other positions as well.”

2326 posts