PLEA TO Y25/Y26

155 posts
Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: PLEA TO Y25/Y26

by Friday's Legacy » 18 Sep 2011 14:28

loyalroyal4life
Can anyone explain what the reason is for not being able to stand up? Yes i have heard for health and safety reasons, but say there was a genuine fire drill would everyone not get out quicker if standing?

you can stand only for moments of excitement. that's the official line.

other clubs are more relaxed about it but ours are the opposite and very over the top. s.t.a.r will tell you it's the council that enforce the rule, but that would be the same elsewhere as well and most supporters you see stand, so i don't tend to by that excuse. reading fc should lighten up. if the fans can make some noise and stand a bit in that area at the top half of y25/26 then that in turn feeds to the players.

buddy1983

by buddy1983 » 18 Sep 2011 14:54

the stewards have definatly stepped up their attempts this year and have started recording us on their little camera (is this new).

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 18 Sep 2011 15:41

Pseud O'Nym Kin hell but that gets on my tits. Every time the tangoes start off up the steps to tell someone to sit down. I paid for a seat in an all seater stadium and I'm fecking well going to sit in it, do they really think people are stupid enough that they have to stand just because some spotty little oiks sing a pathetic song?

You could sit pretty much anywhere else in the stadium and happily sit down without interruption. Why choose to sit in the only two blocks where people prefer to stand?

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 18 Sep 2011 18:54

People have got to make a stand (excuse the pun). Rather than the odd chorus of "stand up if you love Reading" lets have MORE people standing up throughout. Notice how stewards give up when they realise it's like talking to a brick wall. No one will get chucked out if everyone does this even though the majority now sit down for fear of being kicked out. Our stewards are crap.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 18 Sep 2011 18:56

buddy1983 the stewards have definatly stepped up their attempts this year and have started recording us on their little camera (is this new).

No they've brought it out now and then for years. This year however it does seem to make an appearance most games - i think theyve bought a new charger for it

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 18 Sep 2011 20:31

buddy1983 the stewards have definatly stepped up their attempts this year and have started recording us on their little camera (is this new).

Just do what you did yesterday (i say 'you' cos i'm in lower west) .......

When the steward's squeezed half way down the row to bollock someone for standing, just start a "STAND UP IF YOU LOVE READING"

Worked a treat from what I could see :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Sep 2011 21:07

tomrfcurz No they've brought it out now and then for years. This year however it does seem to make an appearance most games - i think theyve bought a new charger for it

I'd love to know the justification behind this intrusive, in-your-face approach. I would suggest that RFC stewards are a bunch of flat track bullies. They seemed to be harassing 400 Doncaster fans yesterday who were having a stand and a sing-song to alleviate the gloom of a bad day.....where is this proactive approach from our failed nightclub bouncers when 4,000 Cardiff are in town?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Sep 2011 21:50

Cardiff fans would give them a firm, deserved beating as they don't want some jobsworth steward getting in the way pestering them about being seated when they are trying to support their team. They were especially annoying on saturday, where do they get off nagging people consistently to sit down? we are at the football, not the cinema ffs.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 19 Sep 2011 07:38

floyd__streete I would suggest that RFC stewards are a bunch of flat track bullies. They seemed to be harassing 400 Doncaster fans yesterday who were having a stand and a sing-song to alleviate the gloom of a bad day.....where is this proactive approach from our failed nightclub bouncers when 4,000 Cardiff are in town?

Nailed hit squarely on the head - I'd imagine there are "quotas" to adhere to and it's a lot easier for the stewards to have a whinge at one of the smaller away followings than Cardiff, West Ham, Leeds etc.

Pretty pathetic to be honest.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 Sep 2011 10:03

tomrfcurz People have got to make a stand (excuse the pun). Rather than the odd chorus of "stand up if you love Reading" lets have MORE people standing up throughout. Notice how stewards give up when they realise it's like talking to a brick wall. No one will get chucked out if everyone does this even though the majority now sit down for fear of being kicked out. Our stewards are crap.

What and get kicked out and ST taken away? This is what they do and doesn't exactly help with trying to withstand the situation

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Sep 2011 12:56

T.R.O.L.I.
floyd__streete I would suggest that RFC stewards are a bunch of flat track bullies. They seemed to be harassing 400 Doncaster fans yesterday who were having a stand and a sing-song to alleviate the gloom of a bad day.....where is this proactive approach from our failed nightclub bouncers when 4,000 Cardiff are in town?

Nailed hit squarely on the head - I'd imagine there are "quotas" to adhere to and it's a lot easier for the stewards to have a whinge at one of the smaller away followings than Cardiff, West Ham, Leeds etc.

Pretty pathetic to be honest.

Conspiracy territory - I like this. The smoking gun in this case is probably the local council (sorry, for those of you from West Reading that is caynsil) safety group who grant the certificate probably have to be placated with a "well we normally enforce it vigorously but you try making 2000 Milwall sit down" line.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 19 Sep 2011 13:19

Ideal
loyalroyal4life Can anyone explain what the reason is for not being able to stand up? Yes i have heard for health and safety reasons, but say there was a genuine fire drill would everyone not get out quicker if standing?

You need to look up the Lord Justice Taylor Report.

It basicly boils down to this:
A number of Liverpool fans died in a tragic accident
Report concludes Police operational errors were the main cause
Knee-jerk reaction is to remove/ban terracing
Families of those who died continue to make a great big fuss and to this very day lobby against standing areas in football stadiums

One take on it could be to say that if police operational errors were the main cause, who is to say that standing areas would not be relatively safe if the police were not oxf*rd up their job? If they did things right, it could be safe. One could argue that this entire terracing ban has been unnecessary.

Tickets for the standing terrace were much cheaper than tickets for the seated areas.

Basically there's your reason right there - the FA/League/Chairmen saw all-seater stadia as a way to increase revenue, much the same as increasing half time from 10 to 15 minutes which was to encourage people to partake of the half-time "refreshments".
Last edited by If you still hate Futcher on 19 Sep 2011 13:21, edited 2 times in total.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Sep 2011 13:20

FFS, here we go again. When I have time tonight I'll answer (again) all the issues about standing.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Sep 2011 17:17

When the whole of Y25/26 stand, Aston Villa and Cardiff games to pick out two examples, the atmosphere is really good.

Also why can't the local press get involved? Why can't they ask questions that fans want answers too.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Sep 2011 17:35

LoyalRoyalFan When the whole of Y25/26 stand, Aston Villa and Cardiff games to pick out two examples, the atmosphere is really good.

Also why can't the local press get involved? Why can't they ask questions that fans want answers too.

Because fans who are switched on know the answers to all the questions - there's no great conspiracy going on here.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Sep 2011 17:37

No interaction between the fans and club over this issue?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Sep 2011 17:40

LoyalRoyalFan No interaction between the fans and club over this issue?

There has been plenty - but it's not the choice of the club whether they enforce the legislation.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Sep 2011 17:41

Svlad Cjelli

There has been plenty - but it's not the choice of the club whether they enforce the legislation.

I understand that but we get interaction over pointless things such as social media, but not over things we need discussion over.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Sep 2011 17:42

LoyalRoyalFan
Svlad Cjelli

I understand that but we get interaction over pointless things such as social media, but not over things we need discussion over.

What discussion would you like, exactly?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Sep 2011 17:48

Why 4,000 away fans can stand but the home fans can't?

Why other clubs get away with allowing their supporters to stand if they choose to do so?

Why can't the council bother with more pressing matters?

155 posts