Thank YOU - Dolan - Thank YOU - Anton

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thank YOU - Dolan - Thank YOU - Anton

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Mar 2013 14:00

I think when Pog returns we will get more of a cutting edge - he will def benefit from us playing the ball through the middle - but if we keep Dolan for a while the real acid test will be Southampton.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Mar 2013 14:16

Mid Sussex Royal I think when Pog returns we will get more of a cutting edge - he will def benefit from us playing the ball through the middle - but if we keep Dolan for a while the real acid test will be Southampton.

If we don't lump it up to him and expect to him to control it with his forehead and instead with his feet (funny that, in football) we should get much better hold up play out of him. Whether we actually have the midfielders able to capitalise on that remains to be seen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2013 14:40

ZacNaloen
Mid Sussex Royal I think when Pog returns we will get more of a cutting edge - he will def benefit from us playing the ball through the middle - but if we keep Dolan for a while the real acid test will be Southampton.

If we don't lump it up to him and expect to him to control it with his forehead and instead with his feet (funny that, in football) we should get much better hold up play out of him. Whether we actually have the midfielders able to capitalise on that remains to be seen.

We'll also need to get up and support him quicker and better. But then if we're not just launching the ball to him from deep and are passing the ball through midfield more that shouldn't be a huge issue.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 17 Mar 2013 14:54

Maguire
It was the same kind of game as City away.

United had it locked down. If they had needed another goal they would have scored one.

Stats:
City Away:
Reading's Possession: 26.7%
City's shots from inside the box: 16
Total Passes: City: 677, Reading: 235
Reading's Passing: Long Passes %: 20%, Passing Accuracy: 70.6%

Utd Away:
Reading's Possession: 43.1%
Utd's shots from inside the box: 5
Total Passes: Utd: 462, Reading: 337
Reading's Passes: Long Passes %: 13.9%, Passing Accuracy: 74.2%

The stats show that the games were very different. City dominated us and could have score many. Utd really did not threaten at all from close range and barely from long range, if they hadn't had scored the deflected goal there was very little evidence from the match to suggest that they were capable of scoring a proper goal against us.

Source of Stats: Skysports Match Reports.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 1733/stats
http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 1854/stats

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Mar 2013 15:11

Good stats.

FWIW, BBC had us at 48% yesterday.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 17 Mar 2013 15:11

Not read through the whole thread, but since when does Thou Voice, whoever he is, speak for all of Hobnob? I'd like to go on record that I am distancing myself from his views.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Mar 2013 15:12

P!ssed Off
Maguire
It was the same kind of game as City away.

United had it locked down. If they had needed another goal they would have scored one.

Stats:
City Away:
Reading's Possession: 26.7%
City's shots from inside the box: 16
Total Passes: City: 677, Reading: 235
Reading's Passing: Long Passes %: 20%, Passing Accuracy: 70.6%

Utd Away:
Reading's Possession: 43.1%
Utd's shots from inside the box: 5
Total Passes: Utd: 462, Reading: 337
Reading's Passes: Long Passes %: 13.9%, Passing Accuracy: 74.2%

The stats show that the games were very different. City dominated us and could have score many. Utd really did not threaten at all from close range and barely from long range, if they hadn't had scored the deflected goal there was very little evidence from the match to suggest that they were capable of scoring a proper goal against us.

Source of Stats: Skysports Match Reports.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 1733/stats
http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 1854/stats

Absolutely, yesterday was in no way similar to the City game apart from the end result.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 17 Mar 2013 15:57

Ian Royal
ZacNaloen

We'll also need to get up and support him quicker and better. But then if we're not just launching the ball to him from deep and are passing the ball through midfield more that shouldn't be a huge issue.

This, it's not the lumping up to Pog that is the main problem (although it's not great to watch) its the failure of our midfielders to get up and support him.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 17 Mar 2013 16:08

Thou Troll

get a grip u lot :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2013 17:45

Royal Rother Good stats.

FWIW, BBC had us at 48% yesterday.

Their possession stats seem to be quite different to everyone elses.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 17 Mar 2013 18:08

I think most of us can agree that there was a basis to just pass the ball more, especially centrally. We weren't afraid to just knock it about, like they no doubt do in training. However, it became abundantly clear that they're just not used to passing it around in the final third. Or, more importantly, a team without ANY confidence did not have the guile or ingenuity to just to try something 'off the cuff'.

IF (and it's a big IF), we can gain some confidence with just passing the ball, creating angles, committing players forward, moving into space...then we may surprise ourselves. However, it's too late for this season. Not when other teams are picking up many more points that we are.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Mar 2013 18:13

Agent Balti I think most of us can agree that there was a basis to just pass the ball more, especially centrally. We weren't afraid to just knock it about, like they no doubt do in training. However, it became abundantly clear that they're just not used to passing it around in the final third. Or, more importantly, a team without ANY confidence did not have the guile or ingenuity to just to try something 'off the cuff'.

IF (and it's a big IF), we can gain some confidence with just passing the ball, creating angles, committing players forward, moving into space...then we may surprise ourselves. However, it's too late for this season. Not when other teams are picking up many more points that we are.

Indeed. Should have been doing this months ago.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 17 Mar 2013 19:17

southbank1871 Not read through the whole thread, but since when does Thou Voice, whoever he is, speak for all of Hobnob? I'd like to go on record that I am distancing myself from his views.

He's another one of SDR's split personalities.

I miss Stryker the most of all.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Mar 2013 01:52

He's not SDR.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 18 Mar 2013 09:06

Thou Voice Well after watching a season that has had as much fun as watching paint dry under Brain we finally saw a match on what we can be proud of, as well as the players...

...oh yes!

This is a message from all of us at HobNob, thanking Dolan and Anton for what they have done this week.

Looking back...

This Brian guy, kept saying WE MOVE ON and YES we did. Once Brian followed his own words and moved on ( should have been December TBH ), we actually played a game against the sooooon to be Champions of the League, and you know what - we looked pretty good.

Proud of the team - delighted for Dolan and glad that the previous efforts we had for management are gone. In fact, like we had a car park demo for Balding Guy V1 to stay, we should have had one for V2 to go.

Looking back, Anton should have brought the axe down earlier and we might have stayed here - that being said - if this is the kind of performance that Dolan brings, he should stay.

Do You See? :shock:

Im with this guy

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 18 Mar 2013 09:11

Dolan shouting "keep it" Thats what I have been shouting for a long time.

People need to stop acting like Brian was unfairly treated, he had a shot at it, he made us bottom. He had money, he spent it on Gunter, mapps is good, Pog was a gift, & he messed up the personal handling of guthrie who could have proved vital this season.

£2.5M ON GUNTER just remember that.

People keep saying he wasn't given any money, didn't he say he bid £10m on Sig? Well thats a lot of money, and he threw all of his eggs in one basket. He didn't have a plan B.

People are blinded by nice, it was all a bit too nice. I personally don't think the players should be best chums with the manager. They should have been getting shoes thrown at them not woorldy flames kelloggs shit.

Kebe is our Messi

by Kebe is our Messi » 18 Mar 2013 09:27

HoneyRoastHoax Dolan shouting "keep it" Thats what I have been shouting for a long time.

People need to stop acting like Brian was unfairly treated, he had a shot at it, he made us bottom. He had money, he spent it on Gunter, mapps is good, Pog was a gift, & he messed up the personal handling of guthrie who could have proved vital this season.

People keep saying he wasn't given any money, didn't he say he bid £10m on Sig? Well thats a lot of money, and he threw all of his eggs in one basket. He didn't have a plan B.

People are blinded by nice, it was all a bit too nice. I personally don't think the players should be best chums with the manager. They should have been getting shoes thrown at them not woorldy flames kelloggs shit.

But you have to say Brian wasnt backed in the market, anton only decided to bid big money for players like Ince and sig because they realised at that point how bad the squad was competing in the league, one they should have realised before we started the season. The players brian bought in over the summer, with the amount of money available, was good. He did very well to bring in a balanced group of players with such little money to spend. What do you expect to get these days with 2 million to compete in the premier league? (unless you find a gem in michu)

I dont disagree with the decision to sack him because we all know how bad the stardard of football has been this season, and i think its a decision for the long term, but i dont think brian got a fair crack at it.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Mar 2013 09:30

Royalee The opposition can't put you under so much pressure when you retain the ball like we did yesterday rather than lofting it straight back to them like we have been. The reason we didn't penetrate much yesterday is because our best forward was suspended and our individual players are far inferior to United's. There have been plenty of times we haven't even had a shot this year...yesterday we had R-K's shot, Van Persie blocking a certain goal and a stonewall penalty turned down which ain't bad at Old Trafford. Also, it takes time to change the style and team around when your squad's been used to hoofball - look at Liverpool now who've had more shots than anyone in the league and have been scoring for fun whereas earlier on in the season they never looked like it.

We need to change our style of football and change the ethos around the club, which is what Madejski bottled 3 and a half years ago when he sacked Rodgers and Anton will look to do now - it'll take a fair few months, but it'll be well worth it long term.

While I have some sympathy with your views you can't score a goal by constantly passing the ball around in the first third of the pitch. It reminded me a bit of the 2nd half of United at home. They were 4-3 up and were quite happy to let us have position in these areas. They effectively shut out the game.

While it's actually a relief to see Reading players passing to each other it felt more like a friendly than a competitive match to me. The novelty of passing will soon wear off if we don't score goals and stop losing matches. That's what happened to Rodgers. It's lucky for him he inherited Suarez otherwise he'd be out on his ear by now.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 18 Mar 2013 09:36

Kebe is our Messi
HoneyRoastHoax Dolan shouting "keep it" Thats what I have been shouting for a long time.

But you have to say Brian wasnt backed in the market, anton only decided to bid big money for players like Ince and sig because they realised at that point how bad the squad was competing in the league, one they should have realised before we started the season. The players brian bought in over the summer, with the amount of money available, was good. He did very well to bring in a balanced group of players with such little money to spend. What do you expect to get these days with 2 million to compete in the premier league? (unless you find a gem in michu)

I dont disagree with the decision to sack him because we all know how bad the stardard of football has been this season, and i think its a decision for the long term, but i dont think brian got a fair crack at it.

You're right, I think Anton should have invested more, It could have been different if Pog could have refound the form he showed at Fulham. You have to remember though that Anton probably also had the money he has to pay for completing the purchase of the club at the back of his mind. £25M left is it? Lets not forget he is new to owning a club, give him some slack as his money got us to the prem anyway. The crowd had really started turning on BM, Would Brian have even have wanted the last 11 games being booed at? Could have really tarnished his memories of the club.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 18 Mar 2013 09:49

I can't believe I am reading some of this, I really can't.

On the thread before the game a lot of people (including myself) were predicting a slaughter, 4 and 5-0s being regularly mentioned, some people talking double figures even. When it comes to the match, we aren't embarrassed, we play really well and pass the ball around. We have a stonewall penalty appeal booted, we keep RVP and Rooney quiet (admittedly RVP wasn't looking that sharp!) and we only concede the one goal, that comes with a hefty slice of bad luck AND YET YOU STILL BLOODY MOAN??!!!! We didn't score. WTF??!! This was the same squad that most people said would get slaughtered this week, the 'Sow's Ear You couldn't make a Silk Purse out of', and yet a one-nil at the Champions Elect is not a good enough result for you? Noel Hunt played up front on his own against two INTERNATIONAL centre halves. Man Utd had internationals all over the pitch, and we gave them a good game.

Saturday proved we can pass a ball around and keep posession. Maybe we did lack a cutting edge, but again as many people said last week 'What can Dolan do in 4 days?', well I think he answered that. This was a basis to improve on, not some neolithic kick and rush philosophy that worked in the Championship, and it was something that if we have tried earlier and used more often would probably have got us more points this season. The truth will come against Arsenal when he (or the new manager) has had the squad for for two more weeks, and the Pog and some of the injured players may be in contention. My head is still telling me assuredly that we are destined for the drop, but my heart is telling me there may still be the slightest chance, and if not, then we have a good base point to start from next season.