Group Save Train Tickets (move if necessary but important)

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Group Save Train Tickets (move if necessary but importan

by Wizard » 17 Apr 2015 18:05

Nameless Seems odd to have sold the Groupsave, then abandoned them, but still be selling them on line.
Obviously not all 30,000 were ever going to be travelling by train anyway just can't get my head round the railways not doing what they are supposed to be there for because 'it's not worth it'.

Not blaming you personally, appreciate you are just supplying some inside knowledge of the practicalities...

The railways stopped being a 'service' and became a 'business' as soon as they were privatised in the mid-90s.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the way it is. It would cost FGW a lot more money to operate than they would get back, and so like any normal business they won't provide extra services.

I imagine nobody noticed that Reading were at Wembley until recently, hence the sudden withdrawal of Groupsave tickets. FWIW I am led to believe that any already purchased will be valid, but they should no longer be on sale (online or at stations).

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 17 Apr 2015 19:02

oxf*rd.

Will be leaving our cans on the carriage floor in protest.

#profiteering #outrage #revenge

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Apr 2015 19:47

Wizard
Nameless Seems odd to have sold the Groupsave, then abandoned them, but still be selling them on line.
Obviously not all 30,000 were ever going to be travelling by train anyway just can't get my head round the railways not doing what they are supposed to be there for because 'it's not worth it'.

Not blaming you personally, appreciate you are just supplying some inside knowledge of the practicalities...

The railways stopped being a 'service' and became a 'business' as soon as they were privatised in the mid-90s.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the way it is. It would cost FGW a lot more money to operate than they would get back, and so like any normal business they won't provide extra services.

I imagine nobody noticed that Reading were at Wembley until recently, hence the sudden withdrawal of Groupsave tickets. FWIW I am led to believe that any already purchased will be valid, but they should no longer be on sale (online or at stations).

Putting football aside - I have never understood why FGW don't run trains through the night on a Saturday through Sunday morning in this day and age. So silly to have to end a night early to get the last train back from Padders to Reading.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 17 Apr 2015 20:02

Those tracks and signals don't maintain themselves m8. Although I think when Crossrail goes live there will be later trains.

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 17 Apr 2015 20:22

On their Facebook page, the FSF are saying that FGW have now agreed to honour pre-booked Group Savers for tomorrow.

There are fewer trains running tomorrow as the line is closed between Didcot & Swindon, so FGW could easily run some extra shuttle trains to Paddington. You'd think they'd jump as the chance for some extra revenue. But then why spend money on extra trains when they can just shoehorn us onto the ones they are running?

Queues in operation at Reading station tomorrow; similar to after the festival, I imagine.