is doyle all that

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 09 Mar 2007 02:06

HighburyRoyale
Rhys The Royal
Don Finch I agree with the original poster, Doyle doesn't cut it for me either...... wait a minute.......sorry, thought he was talking about Oster

Who would you rather have in your team at the moment...Oster or Seol?

Oster is the answer btw.

Little and Hunt

Little and Convey

Little on his own

Little and Cox

Little and Henry

Anyone bar Seol or Oster.

Daddy or Chips?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Mar 2007 12:58

Beigemobile I once (and once only) asked the guys I sit next to whether Doyle wasn't a bit invisible in a match, and observed his touch had let him down a few times. Anyone would think I'd just revelaed that I was, in fact, Oliver Holt...

The reaction on here smacks of hysteria. Doyle has done very well, no one really doubts that, but when prices of £10 million start being bandied about, and the praise for him puts him nextin line to Mother Theresa for the Sainthood, maybe taking a realistic and less feverished view of his abilities, contribution and (maybe) development isn't such a bad idea.

And if this isn't the forum for people to discuss the perfromance and contribution of Reading Football Club players, what's it for?

I think you will find that the £10M figures being bandied around were in direct comparison to his inflated worth compared against lesser players transferred for ridiculous amounts. Hence, "if so and so is worth £7M then Doyle is worth £10M". Keep things in context and you won't get so slated.

When Chelski can spend £30M on has beens, who score a goal every 10 games, then 78 grand for young goalscorer who has say 10 years ahead of him is a steal. If he was to score 10 prem goals a season for the next 10 years, then at £10M now, his 100 goals would be "worth" £100k each, (using a discounted net worth analogy or something). So frankly, Yes, £10M would not sound so outlandish.

Now £30M for a has been???? That's just plain stupid.
Last edited by strap on 09 Mar 2007 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 09 Mar 2007 13:31

Chips

Captain Sinbad
Location: On cloud nine until at least the end of 06/07 season

by Captain Sinbad » 09 Mar 2007 19:56

Loyal 1 should change his nick to Disloyal1 and wash his mouth out.

Doyal is a Royal

Doyler

Re: is doyle all that

by Doyler » 09 Mar 2007 21:41

loyal1 is doyle as good as he is made out to be. imo he dosent do much in any of the games i have seen him play.ok he scored some goals this year but he was just about the only one hitting the net at the time. am i the only one tothink this?
Doyle had 18 goals last season, and has 10 goals in the Premiership this season, not to mention quite a few assists as well, all at a cost of just £80,000. He is just 23 and could already be one of the best players this club has ever had. He is the complete striker, I haven't seen anything he can't do. He scores and creates goals, has a great touch, good strength, uses both feet, heads the ball well and tackles back. What more do you want? He has to be the best signing in any league for many a year, if you're looking at value for money. I'm not sure what you've been watching, but its definitely not Reading games.

Harold

by Harold » 09 Mar 2007 21:59

I remember that silly thing about so many Doyles to one Shevchenko. Which was LOLaughable - you can only compare Doyle to Sheva once Doyle has won European Footballer of the Year.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 09 Mar 2007 23:16

Harold I remember that silly thing about so many Doyles to one Shevchenko. Which was LOLaughable - you can only compare Doyle to Sheva once Doyle has won European Footballer of the Year.

Hmm... let me see - they're both strikers, they've both started their UK Premiership campaign this season; yes, I can see your justification for saying it's not possible to compare their achievements this season. That would be very silly indeed I am sure, because it's clear to everyone that a player's past history is so much more important to a club trying in vain to catch up with the runaway Premiership leaders than is his present performance.

Incidentally, the Fiat Panda was voted European Car of the Year in 2004, yet it's not my preferred choice. However, I am sure it would be wrong of me to compare it to my current car which outperforms it in every metric, because my current car hasn't been voted European Car of the Year... yet.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Mar 2007 00:02

Harold
AthleticoSpizz you are right, he was ghostly quiet on that game (as he has been since then too), but coming back from injury...its kind've ok, it could be a lengthy process.

When were Shevchenko and Ballack last injured?

Another thread -another mention of Chelsea, I am honoured.

Ballack and Sheva have had various knocks throughout the season. Thankfully not in the last few weeks.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, love.

He's saying Ballack and Shevchenko are sh*t and not really not worth the money. (Transfer fee AND wages - before you start trying to be clever Chelsea Rent Boy)

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 10 Mar 2007 08:52

WTRoyal Just thought it might be fun to look at a couple of statistics:

Leroy Lita cost £1,000,000 and has scored 7 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of £142,857.14 per goal (let's say that's about one hundred and forty thousand pounds per goal).

Didier Drogba cost £24,000,000 and has scored 18 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of £1,333,333.33 per goal (let's say that's about one point three million pounds per goal).

Andrei Shevchenko was bought for an undisclosed fee widely reported to be around £30,000,000 and has scored 3 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of about £10,000,000 per goal (let's say that's about ten million per goal as the exact transfer fee isn't known).

Kevin Doyle was bought for an undisclosed fee widely reported to be around £78,000 and has scored 10 premiership goals so far in the 06/07 season; which works out at a cost of about £7,800 per goal (let's say that's about seven thousand eight hundred per goal as the exact transfer fee isn't known).

For those who like their statistics slightly better cooked than this, take into account the fact that the primary function of a striker is to score goals; then, consider this:

Even in the event that Kevin Doyle doesn't score another premiership goal this season, in order to achieve a close price per goal figure to the one that he has achieved, Leroy Lita would have to score approximately 128 goals (or 121 more than he has currently scored); Didier Drogba would have to score approximately 3076 goals (or 3058 more than he has currently scored); and Andrei Shevchenko would have to score approximately 3846 goals (or 3843 more than he has currently scored).

To answer the original poster, therefore, my conclusion & personal opinion is this:

Doyle may or may not be "all that" (sic) in your (or anyone else's) opinion but regardless of this, and of whether or not he has been playing for long enough at this level to prove himself, he's given an exceptional contribution to our team and I am very happy with this. I fully expect he will score more goals in the remaining 9 games of the season, and I wish him well in so doing.

E&OE

HTH

I've been saying that for so long... glad someone finally agrees with me.
:D

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 13 Mar 2007 05:17

Ooo Trevor Morley
boycey Is he "all that" .
you been watching too much American TV sister .

You've been watching - The present PERFECT progressive is almost always used in British English.

You been watching - The present progressive is more frequently used in American English.

They say irony is used more by the Brits, so, er.... Well Done. :wink:

Last I checked, 'you been watching' is still piss poor english even over here in the States. I think the creator of this thread has been doing too much of something, recreational drugs would be my guess.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Mar 2007 08:50

Yes, Doyle is "all that".

Maybe if you watched him at a game rather than on the TV you would get a better appreciation for what he brings to the team.

HTH

loyal1

by loyal1 » 14 Mar 2007 20:58

distance between home and the match is to much and he didnt play when last down so the tv is all i have to judge him on.
Mr Angry Yes, Doyle is "all that".

Maybe if you watched him at a game rather than on the TV you would get a better appreciation for what he brings to the team.

HTH

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 14 Mar 2007 21:37

seahawk10
Ooo Trevor Morley

You've been watching - The present PERFECT progressive is almost always used in British English.

You been watching - The present progressive is more frequently used in American English.

Last I checked, 'you been watching' is still piss poor english even over here in the States. I think the creator of this thread has been doing too much of something, recreational drugs would be my guess.

Where exactly do you live? Obviously nowhere near the South...eg Alabama/Texas/Louisiana - you must have realised that's how they talk down there!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Mar 2007 21:56

nivek elyod
seahawk10
Ooo Trevor Morley

Where exactly do you live? Obviously nowhere near the South...eg Alabama/Texas/Louisiana - you must have realised that's how they talk down there!

I am in Los Angeles. Pretty far from the old south. And it's still poor english, even if it is used by some down there. But to get the thread back on track. I think we can all agree that Kevin Doyle is all that, and a bag of 'perfectly progressive' chips. :D

Ooo Trevor Morley

by Ooo Trevor Morley » 15 Mar 2007 07:21

seahawk10
nivek elyod
seahawk10
Ooo Trevor Morley

I am in Los Angeles. Pretty far from the old south. And it's still poor english, even if it is used by some down there. But to get the thread back on track. I think we can all agree that Kevin Doyle is all that, and a bag of 'perfectly progressive' chips. :D

Do you mean crisps? :wink:

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 15 Mar 2007 08:07

Loyal 1 watch this and see if you change ur mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNeqiOPmDw

it hasn't go the best of music but it certainly shows his goals