Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 15:04

cmonurz
So the answer is not to respond? So a whole thread comes to an end once Snowball posts some stats?

I don't see the issue pointing out where stats are wrong, or where they appear irrelevant or misleading to the point being discussed.

Try being a little more honest, "rz"

A deaf dumb and blind donkey would take an hour to work out what is going on here.

You, Hoop and the excellent Mr Ian Royal react, usually withing seconds to virtually
everything I post, in a highly antagonistic, extremely skeptical manner. Simply
put you are looking to argue, not to seek the truth but to argue for the sake of it.

You will look at 40 facts and pick out one which is slightly off, attack that.

You're transparent. Ditto the other two. It's interesting that the three of you are in the top ten or so posters ever...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 15:06

Wycombe Royal Shane Long has Snowball, and Snowball has Brendy.

How sweet.

How rude and unhelpful

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Nov 2010 15:12

5 of the last 6 posts by Snowball. If only Shane Long could have scored 5 of our last 6 goals.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Nov 2010 15:13

Usually within seconds? Your implication that are sitting here waiting to respond to your posts flies in the face of your often lightning quick responses to mine, at least, and moreover the fact that you often respond to four or five posts on the bounce.

I am being completely honest. Disagreeing with you is not antagonistic. Not in any way at all. Calling me a twat, as you have done, is quite antagonistic. So was your post that suggested you had no respect for me.

I'm not looking to argue, the threads on this board are there for people to join in, and if you have posted some stats for which I question the use, or indeed the accuracy, I have the right to question them, and you should be grown-up enough to accept criticism of them, and to respond directly to the points others make.

Bolding responses, capitalising them, underlining, and calling people twats, is not 'responding' in that sense. You come across as angered, and impatient that such little people would question your facts.

When someone brings another angle to a debate (such as me with Defoe vs Sheringham) you state it is not relevant or you 'are not interested' in answering that valid point - but when you decide an outside example is relevant, such as Diego Forlan, you argue vehemently that your post should be considered.

You want to set, control and lead the debate, and you come across as seeking nothing but agreement to your view of things. And that isn't what a discussion board is about.

*To talk specifically about the stats - you post 'you look at 40 facts and pick 1' - whilst I don't agree with that, perhaps that's the problem. And this goes back to the crux of the initial responses to your posts on this board. Too many stats. Instead of 40 'facts', post 2, and then discuss them. That's got to be better than creating a Wisden Almanac of Shane Long's career?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 15:20

Hoop Blah
I'm not saying that no. I'm just pointing out that snowball has pretty much belittles any eyewitness accounts of the game and said they're inferior to the stats because the stats are totally impartial and accurate reflection of the games (which is bollocks on both counts by the way).

He's then slagging off IR for forming opinions on a game through the radio commentry when all his stats are bascially just a written commentry of the game.

Seemed a bit hypocritical to me thats all.

Hoop (who does not read this so won't respond)... There is a lot of difference between making statements SOLELY based on eyewitness accounts and seeing a game and then checking your subjective, heat of the moment views, more often than not wrong.

I have lost count of things I "100% KNEW" that turned out to be wrong.

You conveniently overlook every time I give a prefect example of proof that eyewitnesses get it wrong (eg Rodgers, the 3-1 at Barnsley)

But the way this list works is as follows.

Keep an open mind for say 45 minutes of a player's debut (unless he is old, or didn't cost much.)

If he misses a sitter he's gash and we should get rid.

OK, that's an exaggeration, but not much. How many on this list ever CHANGE their opinion?

They decide to hate Shane Long and that's it. He's no good. End. If he scored a couple of hat-tricks and then a few braces
and ended up on 19 goals for the season, maybe 2 or 3 would get as far as saying, "He got a bit lucky, kept finding shit
keepers, the defenders were tired, he was wearing illegal boots, and, anyway, Kebe laid 18 of those goals on a plate for him."

Another example is all-of-a-sudden penalties are not real goals. When Doyle or Kitson OR GYLFI scored goals from free-kicks or penalties, how many ever complained?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 15:21

Wycombe Royal 5 of the last 6 posts by Snowball. If only Shane Long could have scored 5 of our last 6 goals.

and your point is, Sir?

I come away from the computer, do a little brain-surgery, solve the Middle-east crisis, and then return
and answers posts to me, or about me. Simples. (PS and in how many threads? One? Two?)

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Nov 2010 15:22

They decide to hate Shane Long and that's it. He's no good. End. If he scored a couple of hat-tricks and then a few braces
and ended up on 19 goals for the season, maybe 2 or 3 would get as far as saying, "He got a bit lucky, kept finding shit
keepers, the defenders were tired, he was wearing illegal boots, and, anyway, Kebe laid 18 of those goals on a plate for him."

Perhaps Snowball, you can give us undeniable proof that such an attitude exists on this board, because I can tell you if Shane Long scores 19 or 20 goals this season, I will be praising him until the cows come home, perhaps once again as the supporter of a Premier League team.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Nov 2010 15:27

Snowball
Wycombe Royal 5 of the last 6 posts by Snowball. If only Shane Long could have scored 5 of our last 6 goals.

and your point is, Sir?

I come away from the computer, do a little brain-surgery, solve the Middle-east crisis, and then return
and answers posts to me, or about me. Simples. (PS and in how many threads? One? Two?)

It's sarcasm, but I guess your statistical brain can't cope with that as it can't be quantified.

Always_Royal

by Always_Royal » 04 Nov 2010 15:47

To get this thread back on track this is BM's take on Shane and I for one never boo a RFC player no matter what.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... s-critics/?

BTW Snowball I enjoy reading your stats and constructive opinions.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Nov 2010 15:51

To take it off track again (slightly) I think the only Reading player I can remember booing is Terry Hurlock when he got sent off (again). I went to the back of the stand to do it though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Nov 2010 15:53

Always_Royal To get this thread back on track this is BM's take on Shane and I for one never boo a RFC player no matter what.

Personally I didn't understand the fans reaction to him when he was substituted, but then I never boo a player as I think it is counter-productive. But I can understand the frustration of some fans as Shane is a striker and his job is to score goals, and regardless of what he has contributed he has only scored two penalties and missed quite a few golden opportunities to score from open play.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Nov 2010 15:56

Are you sure he's only scored 2 goals this season?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 16:00

Always_Royal To get this thread back on track this is BM's take on Shane and I for one never boo a RFC player no matter what.

BTW Snowball I enjoy reading your stats and constructive opinions.

Thanks A-R

BTW, for the record, Shane has actually scored THREE goals this season in 15 (2) appearances. 1/3 in open play. 1 (1) for Ireland, plus an international assist
Last edited by Snowball on 04 Nov 2010 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Nov 2010 16:01

cmonurz They decide to hate Shane Long and that's it. He's no good. End. If he scored a couple of hat-tricks and then a few braces

Perhaps Snowball, you can give us undeniable proof that such an attitude exists on this board, because I can tell you if Shane Long scores 19 or 20 goals this season, I will be praising him until the cows come home, perhaps once again as the supporter of a Premier League team.

Will that be before or after you post here to tell me he FAILED to get 20?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Nov 2010 16:08

Royal Rother Are you sure he's only scored 2 goals this season?

For Reading, yes.

I don't care that he has scored for Ireland. Different team mates, different style of play. Not relevant to his performances for Reading.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Nov 2010 16:10

What?

If Long has a shit season, I'll probably conclude he's had a shit season. If he scores a load of goals, I'll praise him. What's difficult to understand about that? Seems to me you're being deliberately obtuse.

I think if you actually went back and read my responses to you, you'd see that in the vast majority they are considered and polite. If you're just going to make accusations or snide remarks, and not address the points people make, I don't know why you are responding.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Nov 2010 16:11

cmonurz Only if they are presented fairly?

but you say every set of stats isnt presented fairly
so just say it once, or just refer back to original post saying "snowballs stats are presented unfairly"
do you really need to say the same thing each time he posts?

for what its worth it seems to be 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other in terms of ruining threads, just from the outside of this.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Nov 2010 16:13

Wycombe Royal Shane Long has Snowball, and Snowball has Brendy.

How sweet.

gayest thing ever posted.^^^^^^^^^^

dont mess with me, im an internet behemoth dont you know

im just observing from the outside of what appears to me to be the gayest war of words wince christopher biggins had a row with gok wan about which but plugs they preferred.

stop screeching every time he posts, and he'll probably stop posting as much.
the end.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Nov 2010 16:16

Hoop Blah
brendywendy
Hoop Blah
You can't trust what you see through your eyes though right?* Isn't that what you always claim?*

Don't you judge everything on the 'facts' you gleam from the clubs official stats and match reports...not exactly a neutral source of data is it?*

* you don't really need to bother replying as I won't see the reply.

you seem to be saying there is only one way to look at the game, only one right way.

its FACT that eyewitness statements can be a lot of rubbish, that peoples preformed opinions color what they see.hence why 25000 people can watch the same game and have wildly differing views of what theyve seen

surely stats are a way of moderating your predjudice, and helping form a better opinion?

I'm not saying that no. I'm just pointing out that snowball has pretty much belittles any eyewitness accounts of the game and said they're inferior to the stats because the stats are totally impartial and accurate reflection of the games (which is bollocks on both counts by the way).

He's then slagging off IR for forming opinions on a game through the radio commentry when all his stats are bascially just a written commentry of the game.

Seemed a bit hypocritical to me thats all.

isnt that just what everyone else is doing, but in reverse.

so hes a hypocrite.most people are some of the time.

i dont see why its such a big thing, and it certainly is all of you against one, which seems unfair, and hence why i felt the need to even comment on the gayfest

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Nov 2010 16:17

brendywendy stop screeching every time he posts, and he'll probably stop posting as much.
the end.

I have responded to a fraction of his posts, and only some have been critical/sarcastic. I think you have defended him far more times than I have criticised so get off that high horse of yours.

And by the way, my comment you responded too was a sarcastic one. Interesting that you bit and Snowball didn't...........

2027 posts