Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Welcome back Brian?

by Mr Optimist » 15 Dec 2015 20:59

There were even some who were questioning Sir Steve at the end of 04/05, especially when he signed two for the price of none from Cork City pre season, where's the ambition Sir Dodgy cried, do you seeeeee.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Dec 2015 21:20

Ian Royal
genome
Coppelled_Streets
Do you believe those that wanted him sacked a few years ago will be happy to see him back? It's a very mixed set of opinions out there. It wont take much of a bad run for the dick heads to start the #McDermottOut campaign. I'd love him to do well here (again), but I think it's up against it this time around and where as in the past play-offs and promotion were nice to have, now they're a must have.

A bit revisionist. I remember there being plenty of pressure for us to be challenging at the top end of the Championship table. In fact, there has been ever since 02/03 imo.

fixed

Yes, actually. I remember people wanting us to be challenging at the top after the 02/03 season, but I don't think there was any real pressure until 04/05 though.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 15 Dec 2015 22:18

Honestly, does anyone know how to delete your HNA account?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 15 Dec 2015 22:36

tonyrfc
Oilroyal He will need to win games so it's a good thing he has the second best win ratio in the club's history. Second to Alan Pardew and in ahead of Sir Steve.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

True, but you'd be screaming blue murder if a manager with a crap win ratio was appointed ...

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 15 Dec 2015 23:24

Coppelled_Streets
Hoop Blah If the owners of a club aren't fully behind a manager it won't end well.

That and the fans being split on him as well.

No appointment would be universally popular - I think McDermott would be received far more favourably than a lot of other candidates. This forum possibly consists of a more vocal/passionate section of Reading fans but there has been no mass dissent on here - of course some have questioned it but lots of people appear to have warmed to the idea and he currently seems easily the most popular candidate. ( I don't see any other individual being advocated nearly as much).

Brian seems to have fared well on various polls I've seen, both on here and other forms of media. Hopefully he'll be in place to take the team properly against Blackburn on Sunday - if so I'll be certainly giving him a very warm welcome back and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

tonyrfc

by tonyrfc » 16 Dec 2015 07:15

Oilroyal
tonyrfc
Oilroyal He will need to win games so it's a good thing he has the second best win ratio in the club's history. Second to Alan Pardew and in ahead of Sir Steve.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

Fair enough. Who do you consider a better option than BM. Would be interested to know your first choice.

My heart says I'd love to see Mark Warburton here. The football he had Brentford playing last year was a joy to watch.

My head says Nigel Pearson. To me the obvious choice. Experienced and successful at this level and in the PL. Whether the Thais will go for him is another matter.

My gut feeling is that the Thais want a 'name' and that BM would not be the preferred appointment.

As somebody else has quoted, I fear for BM if he's appointed as the expectation for him to succeed and get to the PL will be massive. A bad run of form and the dissenters will be calling for his head and I fear we'll be doing all of this again within a year. I also think that if, as rumoured, some of the Thais are unsure of appointing him, I fear he'll be a dead man walking.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 16 Dec 2015 07:34

The problem we have is everything we hear is rumour and conjectutre.
Its okay whacking a poll on here with three potentials to choose from and picking Brian because we know him, he is a nice bloke, did a good job once etc but we have no idea who really is in the frame and who if anybody applied or has been approached. There probably is no reason for us to know anyway until it is done and dusted.
I think possibly the Thais would want a bigger name but can we really expect that? I dont think so.
Brian for me is a real gamble and i am 50/50 on it. Going back hardly ever works out but this squad looks like it could be falling apart, too many ego's in there possibly, a few "billy big balls" and strong heads. It needs settling down and they need to play with pride, passion and togetherness. Brian got that from his team before and IF he can do it again then it could work. If not then im afraid he wont be around for long.
Sadly we have a fickle bunch of fans who will be on his and the players backs inside of a month if we are not winning all the time.
I think this could be the most important appointment we have had for a while, probably since Coppell left, get it right and i can see us going up, get it wrong and we are in trouble.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Dec 2015 08:43

Terminal Boardom And still no manager appointed. The club is turning into a bad joke. Why get rid of a manager without having a replacement lined up? Madness.

1. If the club feel the manager in charge is having a negative effect on the team, removing them and putting a caretaker in charge may be seen as a better scenario than letting them go through the motions.
2. It tells the footballing world we're recruiting - send us your cv's
3. It's not the Reading way to tap up a new manager behind the back of the existing manager and the other parties employer.
4. The club should always have a managerial shortlisted, however just because we have someone on a list it doesn't mean they will want to join us.
5. Could it be seen as constructive dismissal?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Dec 2015 09:06

It's possible Clarke wanted out and simply made it impossible for us not to show him the door.He did virtually nothing following his trip to West London to make it look like he was interested or capable of managing the team any longer.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Dec 2015 09:09

loyalroyaldaz Sadly we have a fickle bunch of fans who will be on his and the players backs inside of a month if we are not winning all the time.

We're no different to 90% of clubs in that regard. oxf*rd Real Madrid will boo their team if they win 4-0 but didn't like the way they play.

I'd actually think as a fanset we are more patient and certainly less hostile than most. It comes with the territory of traditionally having a more middle class fanbase.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 16 Dec 2015 09:20

Terminal Boardom And still no manager appointed. The club is turning into a bad joke. Why get rid of a manager without having a replacement lined up? Madness.

Actively recruiting for a replacement manger when you have one in place sounds almost as disloyal as going for an interview with a club when you are already a manager.......but nobody here would question that would they...............OH!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Dec 2015 09:22

Any news on how the Fulham recruitment process is going ?

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 16 Dec 2015 09:24

Lacoste Honestly, does anyone know how to delete your HNA account?

??

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Dec 2015 09:31

Just don't log on

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Dec 2015 09:33

Lacoste

??

Light some incense and some candles, whisper "I want it to be over" over again whilst spinning around.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2015 09:57

Nomad_Royal

Actively recruiting for a replacement manger when you have one in place sounds almost as disloyal as going for an interview with a club when you are already a manager.......but nobody here would question that would they...............OH!

You might be able to argue its grounds for constructive dismissal maybe.

Personally, i found the speed with which we appointed Clarke distasteful.

The idea that we're somehow a laughing stock because we take two to three weeks to appoint a manager is ludicrous.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 16 Dec 2015 10:01

I think we're only a laughing stock if sources inside the club tell the press a new manager is about to be appointed when in fact it's not the case.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Dec 2015 10:23

Lacoste

??

Have you had enough belmonting for the year?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Dec 2015 11:02

There will be no appointment today.

I would expect, though, that Brian will be handed the job before the Blackburn comedy unfolds.

Hoping he is appointed tomorrow but not holding my breath.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 16 Dec 2015 11:10

There's speculation that Brian will be at the game tonight. I wonder if any other contenders will be there as well. I can just see Brian sitting next to Garcia and Bergkamp. At least it would make the game interesting!!

1226 posts