STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

831 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by Sun Tzu » 02 Feb 2009 10:43

East Stand Royal 500 By the way, is the £5 million clause only applicable while we are in the CCC? Will it disappear once we get back? If it's still applicable after we get back there, I think the club may be more ready to negotiate.

He signed the contract while we were in the Prem so I doubt it would be a 'CCC only' thing.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 02 Feb 2009 10:56

Samrfc01 Reading have snubbed Wigan's £5m offer for Stephen Hunt which could let in Spurs, but Harry Redknapp could also be alerted by Marseilles left-back Taye Taiwo who is keen on a move to White Hart Lane. (Sun)

There is a problem with this though

HOW CAN WE SNUB £5M ?

he has a release clause so we wouldnt be able to

and even if he didnt who in their right mind would turn down £5m for a £5m-rated player who blantantly wants to leave ?

As previously posted by others, Wigan did bid £5M but wanted to pay by installments. Reading do not have to accept that so they rejected it. Wigan know they have to come back with £5M up front and they have not so far done this - hence no firm bids.

This is why Hunty has been vocal in his disgruntlement in the press. He sees it that Wigan bid £5M and that he should therefore be able to speak with Wigan but Reading are saying the offer did not meet the terms of his release clause. If Hunty wanted potential suitors be be able to pay in installments, he should have insisted that was written into the contract.

Steve Bruce does want him though so don't be surpirised if the full £5M bid comes in today.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 02 Feb 2009 11:07

Radders
Big Foot Stephen Hunt of the last 6-8 weeks reminds me of Nicky Shorey for large periods of last season.

Playing very much within himself and for himself. Hoping to be the shining star and avoiding injury.

Makes you realise just how good Sidwell's attitude was.

Personally, I really like him and agree he makes us a better team when he is playing but if his head is elsewhere, then he should follow it.

His last hope was Spurs and it looks like Spurs are about to re-sign Robbie Keane in a cash only deal, sign Quaresma from Inter Milan , so can't see Hunt being the icing on the cake!

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 02 Feb 2009 11:14

Binfield Royal
Samrfc01 Reading have snubbed Wigan's £5m offer for Stephen Hunt which could let in Spurs, but Harry Redknapp could also be alerted by Marseilles left-back Taye Taiwo who is keen on a move to White Hart Lane. (Sun)

There is a problem with this though

HOW CAN WE SNUB £5M ?

he has a release clause so we wouldnt be able to

and even if he didnt who in their right mind would turn down £5m for a £5m-rated player who blantantly wants to leave ?

As previously posted by others, Wigan did bid £5M but wanted to pay by installments. Reading do not have to accept that so they rejected it. Wigan know they have to come back with £5M up front and they have not so far done this - hence no firm bids.

This is why Hunty has been vocal in his disgruntlement in the press. He sees it that Wigan bid £5M and that he should therefore be able to speak with Wigan but Reading are saying the offer did not meet the terms of his release clause. If Hunty wanted potential suitors be be able to pay in installments, he should have insisted that was written into the contract.

Steve Bruce does want him though so don't be surpirised if the full £5M bid comes in today.

Do you actually know this, or is it that you have been told by "a reliable source from within the club"? It is amazing how many people on here seem to think that they know every detail of every players contract at the club.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 02 Feb 2009 11:25

I actually know this as I overheard him talking to someone else after the Wolves match.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 02 Feb 2009 11:36

Binfield Royal I actually know this as I overheard him talking to someone else after the Wolves match.

Not doubting that you heard him say it, but the player who is telling the press that the club are not keeping him informed of any offers, has enough knowledge about an offer to say that? Forgive my cynicism but I would take anything a footballer says regarding transfers with a pinch of salt. If and when any player moves is when I believe it.

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 02 Feb 2009 11:41

Not doubting that you heard him say it, but the player who is telling the press that the club are not keeping him informed of any offers, has enough knowledge about an offer to say that? Forgive my cynicism but I would take anything a footballer says regarding transfers with a pinch of salt. If and when any player moves is when I believe it.

If the club were not keeping me informed of offers to a 'better' life in the premiership, I think my loyalties would be somewhat tested and would probably be getting my agent to pull his finger out...................however, I am not Steven Hunt and I for one don't want him to leave !!!!

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 02 Feb 2009 12:53

SSN reporter just said that he has just had a text from SHunt saying that as far as he knows, he is going nowhere 12 53

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Feb 2009 13:22

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 Feb 2009 13:24

LOL @ Spurs ambition if this is true!

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 02 Feb 2009 13:35

Sun Tzu
East Stand Royal 500 By the way, is the £5 million clause only applicable while we are in the CCC? Will it disappear once we get back? If it's still applicable after we get back there, I think the club may be more ready to negotiate.

He signed the contract while we were in the Prem so I doubt it would be a 'CCC only' thing.

I heard somewhere there was a relegation clause in his contract and that the £5 million was a possible quick way back to the prem if we went down.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 02 Feb 2009 13:49

eleventh earl of mar
Binfield Royal I actually know this as I overheard him talking to someone else after the Wolves match.

I think all players will always know about any bid or interest from another club. Players have agents who only get paid if their client moves employers. Someone at Wigan will have made sure Hunty or his agent know that a bid had been put in because if the player wants the move, he will be able to put pressure (subtle or not so subtle) on the current club to accept the move.

I do not think for a second that Hunty was seriously complaining about being "kept in the dark" about offers, what he is really moaning about is that Wigan have made a bid that Hunty thinks is "close enough" to the terms of the release clause and thinks that Reading should agree to vary the contract enough to allow Wigans offer to trigger the clause. He has no legal right to this but probably feels he should be granted the leeway as thanks for his outstanding service and attitude etc etc.

Anyone who remembers McGhee, Pardew et al would know that Mr Mad honours his contracts to the letter and believes (rightly IMHO) that everyone else should do the same. The club is unlikely therefore to bend to the will of any individual player.

I would much prefer he stayed til the end of the season at least. He is part of a team that is doing well and he is playing every week. Lets be honest, Wigan and Tottenham are not going to win anything this season and in truth, either of them could quite easily be relegated.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Feb 2009 13:54

Binfield Royal Anyone who remembers McGhee, Pardew et al would know that Mr Mad honours his contracts to the letter and believes (rightly IMHO) that everyone else should do the same. The club is unlikely therefore to bend to the will of any individual player.

Although JM/the club will try any trick they can to try and work those 'letters' to their advantage, see Salako and Murty's contracts as evidence...not that I think that was a bad thing.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Feb 2009 14:00

I'm not sure I'd be impressed at a business that didn't use the terms of contracts properly !

Not sure what trick was involved with Salako - wasn't he due a new contract he he played x games, wasn't worth a new deal so only played x-1 ?

There looked to be a similar situation with Goater and again you could call it a 'trick' or being astute. Play a guy who wasn;t delivering and have to pay thousands for the privilege or don't....

If Hunt thinks the offer is 'near enough' he really should be having a word with his agent for not doing his job properly and getting the clause correctly drafted. Or perhaps offering to buy out his contract so he can move on and the contract is honoured.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 02 Feb 2009 14:04

Hoop Blah
Binfield Royal Anyone who remembers McGhee, Pardew et al would know that Mr Mad honours his contracts to the letter and believes (rightly IMHO) that everyone else should do the same. The club is unlikely therefore to bend to the will of any individual player.

Although JM/the club will try any trick they can to try and work those 'letters' to their advantage, see Salako and Murty's contracts as evidence...not that I think that was a bad thing.

The club is a business and businesses have to honour their contracts. How they do that is their choice.

The fact that the Agents that earn so much from the sales can't negotiate a watertight contract always astounds me

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 02 Feb 2009 14:05

Sun Tzu I'm not sure I'd be impressed at a business that didn't use the terms of contracts properly !

Not sure what trick was involved with Salako - wasn't he due a new contract he he played x games, wasn't worth a new deal so only played x-1 ?

There looked to be a similar situation with Goater and again you could call it a 'trick' or being astute. Play a guy who wasn;t delivering and have to pay thousands for the privilege or don't....

If Hunt thinks the offer is 'near enough' he really should be having a word with his agent for not doing his job properly and getting the clause correctly drafted. Or perhaps offering to buy out his contract so he can move on and the contract is honoured.

As usual spot on.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Feb 2009 14:07

Wasn't the Murty/York case somewhat different though?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 02 Feb 2009 14:13

Platypuss Wasn't the Murty/York case somewhat different though?

Presumably the first contract had a fixed duration. This finished and then the new contract came into play.

Any payment to York would presumably have have been an agreed compromise to avoid legal fees/bad publicity

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Feb 2009 14:51

Uke
Platypuss Wasn't the Murty/York case somewhat different though?

Presumably the first contract had a fixed duration. This finished and then the new contract came into play.

Any payment to York would presumably have have been an agreed compromise to avoid legal fees/bad publicity

I think it was more us just trying our luck and not getting anywhere so having to cough up.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Feb 2009 15:21

BBC Website :

1512: Championship Mole has just sent me some odds on Stephen Hunt - the bookies are big-time backing him to be a Premier League player by tonight, probably at Spurs, but possibly at Wigan. "They're not often wrong are they?" says moley. No my friend, they aren't. More's the pity.

831 posts