BFTG - Burnley

lardydah

Re: BFTG - Burnley

by lardydah » 07 Oct 2013 21:04

If I remember correctly he did give the ball away (in our half) for the second goal, which was pretty bad even before they put it in the net. I don't remember him doing anything else massively wrong (apart from sporting that awful haircut) though.

Would rather blame Pearce, Morro and McCarthy for the first than Guthrie for the second to be honest.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Oct 2013 13:02

Maguire Guthrie was getting poor reviews from Dellor and Gooding on the radio, and gave away the ball for the second goal IIRC. However a glance at this site suggests he played well.

Which is it - media incorrect or Reading fans over praising Guthrie?

Truth prolly lies somewhere in the middle.

True, although to be fair to BBCRB they did always qualify slating him by saying he was only poor by his own high standards, what weve come to expect from him etc. I didn't get the impression they were saying he was absolutely trash.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Oct 2013 13:05

KTMSTEVE Burnley fan here. That was our best win of the season so far. I thought Reading were the best team to visit Turf Moor this season. I thought you had plenty of the ball in midfield but our work rate is such that your players didn't have much time on the ball. That said that Guthrie is some player!
We did seem to have more of a cutting edge.
Your fans bucked up in the second half with that 20 Minute chant, although I couldn't quite tell what they were saying! Good effort anyway lads! I guess you brought about 350 fans.
Overall I am so pleased to have taken three points from you lot. Lets hope our next meeting on the 3rd of May sees us both up at the top.

Cheers mate for that input.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 08 Oct 2013 13:58

420 was the number apparently. Really poor, but the second half atmosphere wasn't great for noise particularly, just the effort 100 or so fans put into it!

Claretforever

by Claretforever » 08 Oct 2013 22:04

MmmMonsterMunch Victor why are your posts so unnecessarily patronising and rude? McAnally is clearly a retard and must have assumed it was the Burnley fans singing as the Reading fans did not stop all game. And yes we were both actually there so are well placed to comment.

The Burnley fans were pretty much silent throughout.

Sorry to quote just one person as 3 of you have said the same thing now. I don't sit in the same area as where the noise comes from at the Turf, but from the other side of the pitch the Burnley fans were very loud and non-stop all game, barring 10 minutes after half time. Perhaps due to your small numbers(?) I didn't hear Reading fans sing at all, until the Burnley fans fell silent for a couple of minutes after your goal. You all looked to be standing still as well most of the time?

It's an odd ground in the respect of acoustics now. In the CF Stand, where it's all enclosed a small amount of fans can usually make a lot of racket. In fact, I'd imagine it sounds even louder if you're in there as the noise just echoes around inside the stand and you only hear the people around you. The noise from the home stands doesn't travel that way for some reason, which I assume comes from the ill thought out designs with high roofs sloping up. I've heard great noise from <500 away fans a number of times - Canvey Island (FA Cup), Wigan, Hull, Millwall, Cardiff etc. Perhaps it could have even been the wind was blowing in the wrong direct as your noise didn't make it to the half way line :(

I have been on plenty of matches when the ground has been like a morgue, but on Saturday it was bouncing (nowhere near what it was like in the Prem) but consistent most of the game. Remember, I was 150 yards across the pitch but it sounded very loud. I can understand why Sky would have said it from where I was anyway.

I'd also echo what KTMSteve said, which I think I may have mentioned further up, that you're the best said we've played this season and you'll likely be up there come May. I just hope we can hang on in the top 6... :|

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Oct 2013 22:44

I think it's just a simple fact that crowds sound louder when you're in them. Away fans always say how loud they are at the MadStad but unless you've got a couple of thousand going mental I can barely hear a thing down the other end of the ground.

Another fact - away crowds sing more than home crowds. It's a different experience, a different psychology, and it happens everywhere.

So let's not all get bent out of shape about who did and didn't sing, these Clarets seem like very fair-minded posters to this disappointed Royal.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 09 Oct 2013 07:20

KTMSTEVE Burnley fan here. That was our best win of the season so far. I thought Reading were the best team to visit Turf Moor this season. I thought you had plenty of the ball in midfield but our work rate is such that your players didn't have much time on the ball. That said that Guthrie is some player!
We did seem to have more of a cutting edge.
Your fans bucked up in the second half with that 20 Minute chant, although I couldn't quite tell what they were saying! Good effort anyway lads! I guess you brought about 350 fans.
Overall I am so pleased to have taken three points from you lot. Lets hope our next meeting on the 3rd of May sees us both up at the top.

I think that's just the way to get out of this league. You have to play hard to beat and close teams down. Dyche looks like he's becoming a very good manager. I am starting to fancy your lot to get promoted. Your doing nothing spectacular but you are grinding the results and noone can be enjoying playing against you.

For us to get automatic promotion I personally think we might have to fcuk Harry over again live on Sky Sports

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2013 09:53

Reading4eva I am starting to fancy your lot to get promoted.

*you're

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Oct 2013 11:20

leon
Jedi Master Yoda We did perform today not. Good team, Barnsley are. Win promotion this year, they will. Poor, bridge was. With that is adkins happy, hmm? To acquire talent for success master owner needs. The key and we lack it, creativity is. We need to penetrate in order to score goals and we, rely on set-pieces to win us promotion, cannot. Hmmmmmm.

cunt unfunny, you are.

Hiram K Hackenbacker I agree

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 09 Oct 2013 13:00

genome

*you're

*no - 'your' is correct.

Pedant fail.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2013 13:02

Elm Park Old Boy
genome

*you're

*no - 'your' is correct.

Pedant fail.

:roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Oct 2013 13:09

Claretforever Sorry to quote just one person as 3 of you have said the same thing now. I don't sit in the same area as where the noise comes from at the Turf, but from the other side of the pitch the Burnley fans were very loud and non-stop all game, barring 10 minutes after half time. Perhaps due to your small numbers(?) I didn't hear Reading fans sing at all, until the Burnley fans fell silent for a couple of minutes after your goal. You all looked to be standing still as well most of the time?

It's an odd ground in the respect of acoustics now. In the CF Stand, where it's all enclosed a small amount of fans can usually make a lot of racket. In fact, I'd imagine it sounds even louder if you're in there as the noise just echoes around inside the stand and you only hear the people around you. The noise from the home stands doesn't travel that way for some reason, which I assume comes from the ill thought out designs with high roofs sloping up. I've heard great noise from <500 away fans a number of times - Canvey Island (FA Cup), Wigan, Hull, Millwall, Cardiff etc. Perhaps it could have even been the wind was blowing in the wrong direct as your noise didn't make it to the half way line :(

I have been on plenty of matches when the ground has been like a morgue, but on Saturday it was bouncing (nowhere near what it was like in the Prem) but consistent most of the game. Remember, I was 150 yards across the pitch but it sounded very loud. I can understand why Sky would have said it from where I was anyway.

Christ, 3 paragraphs of analysis on the Turf Moor atmosphere, thanks for that :|

Why on earth football fans concern themselves with such things quite so much is beyond me.